How do I kick start my Gmat prep?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

How do I kick start my Gmat prep?

by shikha015 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 pm
Hi,
I have just started my GMAT Preparation. I gave an assessment test,where my score was 540 (too bad) Though,I went through various forums trying to seek an answer but i am still very confused. I have two options, either to join a coaching institute for offline classes or subscribe for online classes, though I will have to make a personal choice on this issue but still i want to have an expert advise.Also,can you please suggest me some books that I can buy for initial kick start? (I have bought OG 13th edition and kaplan premier, but didn't find them good for Quant)

Thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:21 pm
Hi shikha015,

What were your Scaled Scores for the Quant and Verbal sections. Those numbers will give you a sense of which (if either) section you're stronger in. As far as materials that everyone should have, the OG13 and the free downloadable material from MBA.com (2 practice CATs and practice questions) are must-haves.

Before I make any additional recommendations, I have a few questions first:

1) What is your goal score?
2) Where do you want to apply to School? And when?
3) How much time have you given yourself to study?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by shikha015 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:09 am
Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I scored a little better in quantitative as compared to verbal but I know I am better with verbal, just screwed up with the timings. My goal score is 750+ and I intend to give the exam in May 2014. At this point in time, I don't really have a target school (as i am still working on my final b-school list; deleting and adding new schools almost everyday but yeah i am certainly, targeting top B-schools) I devote 3 hours daily for preparation.

I think whats lacking in my is right Direction

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:40 pm
Hi skikha015,

I still need to know what your Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores were. If you'd rather email that information directly to me, then that's fine.

You've certainly given yourself enough time to study, which is good. For those people starting from scratch, I recommend a 3-month study plan. You might end up needing more or less time, but we won't know for sure until you've studied for a bit and we see how you score on your first few practice CATs.

Rich

by shikha015 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:04 pm
I am sorry but the link to my test score and assessment seems to have got lost. I gave Kaplan's diagnostic test

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member

by [email protected] » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:10 pm
Hi shikha015,

That's okay. I sent you a private message with some advice specific to your situation.

Rich

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by Dan@VinciaPrep » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:07 am
Hi Shikha,
I wrote an article about this a couple days. If you want to check it out you'll find it at

https://www.vinciaprep.com/en/blog/how-s ... dying-gmat

Cheers!
Dan
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

I'm a private tutor in Paris, I provide online and in person consulting for the GMAT and MBA application essays.
GMAT tutor paris
Prepa GMAT