Hi, kindly explain d ans

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Hi, kindly explain d ans

by gdk800 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:27 am
A computer equipped with signature-recognition software, which restricts access to a computer to those people whose signatures are on file,identifies a person's signature by analyzing not only the form of the signature but also such characteristics as pen pressure and signing speed.Even the most adept forgers cannot duplicate all of the characteristics the program analyzes.

Which of the following can be logically concluded from the passage above?
(A) The time it takes to record and analyze a signature makes the software impractical for everyday use.
(B) Computers equipped with the software will soon be installed In most banks.
(C) Nobody can gain access to a computer equipped with the software solely by virtue of skill at forging signatures.
(D) Signature-recognition software has taken many years to develop and perfect.
(E) In many cases even authorized users are denied legitimate access to computers equipped with the software.

I had narrowed down d choices to (C) & (E). On first instance (C) seemed logical so i marked it but i changed my ans. to (E) as (C) had an EXTREME WORD:- NOBODY...........I ended up being on wrong side.....

Appreciate any help....

Thanks
GDK

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:07 am
E makes a conclusion which is extreme.it kind a says that a legitiamte user who might have applie all charaterisic might be rejected. we cannot conclude abt this because arg has never questioned the authencity of software

C uses a strong word but makes more sense given the contents of the passage
gdk800 wrote:A computer equipped with signature-recognition software, which restricts access to a computer to those people whose signatures are on file,identifies a person's signature by analyzing not only the form of the signature but also such characteristics as pen pressure and signing speed.Even the most adept forgers cannot duplicate all of the characteristics the program analyzes.

Which of the following can be logically concluded from the passage above?
(A) The time it takes to record and analyze a signature makes the software impractical for everyday use.
(B) Computers equipped with the software will soon be installed In most banks.
(C) Nobody can gain access to a computer equipped with the software solely by virtue of skill at forging signatures.
(D) Signature-recognition software has taken many years to develop and perfect.
(E) In many cases even authorized users are denied legitimate access to computers equipped with the software.

I had narrowed down d choices to (C) & (E). On first instance (C) seemed logical so i marked it but i changed my ans. to (E) as (C) had an EXTREME WORD:- NOBODY...........I ended up being on wrong side.....

Appreciate any help....

Thanks
GDK
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by subgeeth » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:08 am
IMO C

C) Nobody can gain access to a computer equipped with the software solely by virtue of skill at forging signaturesï

You have to ready nobody can gain access only with forging this is clear from the statements

ŽEven the most adept forgers cannot duplicate all of the characteristics the program analyzes.

Coming to E you dont have any any statements supporting that conclusion
Still working on my dreams best part is I have not achieved one yet !!!!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by RadiumBall » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:03 am
But is the strong wording with C ok? When can a strongly worded answer be correct?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:21 pm
Extreme wording is possible in a correct answer choice when the answer choice is exactly correct. So if the stimulus supports the fact that "All people breath oxygen" then this could be the correct answer despite the extreme word "all."

In this case the extreme wording is more a matter of the choice of wording. This answer choice, which says, "Nobody can gain access to a computer equipped with the software solely by virtue of skill at forging signatures." This could have been stated as "It is not possible to gain access to the computer simply by forging signatures." This would seem less extreme in terms of wording. You can prove this in the argument so that is okay.

Remember, the people that write the GMAT only need to abide by their rules - not the ones that we make up for them. So while extreme answer choices as are more difficult to have as answers to "must be true" type questions, the GMAT-writers never agreed that these would always be the wrong answer. They only agreed that the correct answer is one that must be true. And something like "all people breath oxygen" might just turn out to be correct.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 am
Thanks David.
--------
Ankur mittal