Help with prep course

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help with prep course

by jthomassmith23 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:29 pm
I just took the GMAT for the first time a few weeks ago. I did not do very well. I did self study but didn't put in as much time as I should have. When it approached test day I realized I wasn't ready. I ended up getting a measley 490. I know I am capable of getting at least a 650 with the proper time and effort. I heard about Power Score's weekend program. It is a 2-day, 16 hour prep. Has anyone heard if it is effective or not? I am debating whether to take this or the full length course. I am also not in the greatest financial position. Any other good courses out there for the cash conscious???
JTS

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:21 pm
It is very difficult to get a 650+ via crash studying - whether you study on your own or with a company. Effective prep typically takes 3-4 months when going for either a significant score improvement or a very high score - both of which apply to your situation.

My own company offers a 2-week crash course and I still steer people away from it and toward a full course unless there's some kind of major time constraint or if they're just looking for maybe a 50-point improvement AND a sub-650 score.

You should apply for the Beat the GMAT scholarship. Several of the prizes include one of our full-length courses completely for free!
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me