Hello BeatTheGMAT community!

Welcome to the Beat The GMAT community! Tell us about yourself
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Hello BeatTheGMAT community!

by Kebab » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:39 am
Hello everybody!
This is my first post and I am planning to make my second home here for the next few months.

I don't think that this will become some kind of my own blog here, but I found it useful to be a part of this community, as with your posts and comments I will feel myself not alone to face the problem of GMAT beating.

My background history is slightly different from those I've read here. I am from Russia and have been in Toronto since October 2008. I have a bachelor degree in Russia in the financial field, and intend to get masters degree here in Toronto.

I had a little practice in GMAT a year ago, but it can be hardly considered as an attempt to beat it. I have been preparing for it with the Barron's guide book for 2 weeks. I took the test in St.Petersburg (the only test center in the European part of Russia) and got 370.

And here I am setting myself as an object to beat the GMAT test and apply for the MBA program (most likely in the Schulich school of business).
Before making any posts here on the forum, I read all the links and posts from the Founder. I read the test preparation strategy from Ursula and downloaded questions from the resources links. I already have OG 11 and two thin OG guides on Verbal and Math. Tomorrow I will buy kaplan and manhattan guides.
For me, the most terrible part of the test is Verbal. I don't worry about math, because I know that it can be easily mastered by practice, practice and practice. Moreover, we in Russia have integrals on math in high school and linear algebra in universities. But verbal... My first language is Russian as I already mentioned and in order to completely understand CR arguments I have to read it twice. RC and SC are not so superhard, but on CR you have to think and analyze what is written in English language. I'm still thinking in Russian... (maybe somebody can suggest something?)

Anyways, I am glad I'm here. Will work hard to post deserving score here :)

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by prep_to_lead » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:02 pm
Apart from practicing, I would recommend reading editorial columns from online English newspapers at your leisure, since your first language wasn't English. This might help a long way specially in understanding CR questions and avoid reading it more than 2 times to figure out what it means.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:07 pm
welcome to the forums, kebab. :) welcome to your new home. ;)

Glad to hear you've done your homework (reading/checking resources at BTG )