hearitage

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

hearitage

by phelps » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:06 pm
504. Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast ... easterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.
(A) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as
(B) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage with
(C) because many residents of the Southeast do not have the same ethnic heritage as
(D) due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with
(E) whereas many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as

OA is C

A quick question...do you share heritage 'with' somone or should it be 'as'

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Re: hearitage

by perfectstranger » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:16 pm
phelps wrote:504. Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast ... easterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.
(A) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as
(B) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage with
(C) because many residents of the Southeast do not have the same ethnic heritage as
(D) due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with
(E) whereas many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as

OA is C

Well could someone explain how this question uses ''as '' correctly since as is used for verb phrases here
residents do not have same ethnic heritage as Northeasteners ..
''have'' is needed here. My answer is B
Please do not post answers visibly . Please hide them or post them later after the discussion.

GMAT Score:660

by shibal » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:26 pm
source??

also, if we analyze the sentence, C changes the meaning, since it shares and C implies they have heritage....

GMAT Score:670

by uptowngirl92 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:07 pm
Guys this is a 1000SC quest. with ans as C but popular ans. seems to be B..

D and E are clearly out.

Toss is between A,B,C could somebody pls explain in detail?
The major confusion seems to be whether One shares a heritage/background as someone else, or one has the same background/heritage as someone else.

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by sunnyjohn » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:16 pm
I think the main fight is in Between B and C.

dont u guys think C is wrong because of ambiguity as well:

I do not like tea as she.
this seem awkward to me.

Correct way,In my opinion will be:

I do not prefer tea as coffee.

Meaning: I do not prefer tea as coffee.

I do not prefer tea as she does.
or
I do not like tea as does she.

similarly in C:
because many residents of the Southeast do not have the same ethnic heritage as do Northeasterners

So I found "do" is missing here.

the sentence meant to say:
many residents do not have X as [they do not have] Northeasterners

B seems to be a good answer.

GMAT Score:600

by viju9162 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:25 am
C might be right .. the idiom many ....as wont hold good here ?

I'm getting confused with about ethnice heritage - do not share or do not have...
"Native of" is used for a individual while "Native to" is used for a large group

GMAT Score:690

Re: hearitage

by vaibhav.iit2002 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:16 pm
phelps wrote:504. Marketing researchers have found that, because many residents of the Southeast ... easterners, the two varieties of commercially prepared coleslaw most popular in New York City and Boston are virtually ignored by consumers in Richmond and Raleigh.
(A) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as "share X with" is correct idiom and not "share X as"
(B) because many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage with "share X with" is correct idiom which is used properly here but word "same" is unnecessary as it creates a sense of comparison "same X as Y" is correct idiom. Sentence should have been "share the ethnic heritage with"
(C) because many residents of the Southeast do not have the same ethnic heritage as Correct us of idiom "same X as Y"
(D) due to many residents of the Southeast not sharing the same ethnic heritage with Out as because of is better choice than "due to". As per OG 12 SC-prob.33 , when events occur in a sequence they should be presented in chronological order
(E) whereas many residents of the Southeast do not share the same ethnic heritage as whereas gives sense that the coming sentence goes against the underlined sentence .... "because of" is correct

OA is C

I hope it is clear :)[/b]