Having Had

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Having Had

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:33 am
After having had Ann Boleyn beheaded, the next day King Henry VIII was betrothed to Jane Seymour.

A) same as question.

B)After having had Ann Boleyn beheaded, King Henry VIII was betrothed to Jane Seymour the next day.

C) having had Ann Boleyn beheaded, King Henry VIII was betrothed to Jane Seymour the next day.

D)On the day after he had Ann Boleyn beheaded, King Henry VIII was betrothed to Jane Seymour.

E)On the day after having had Ann Boleyn beheaded, King Henry VIII was betrothed to Jane Seymour.
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:37 am
All of these choices are awkward, and I doubt you see anything similar on the GMAT. If I had to pick one though, I would choose D. The use of the present perfect continuous tense is never seen on the GMAT and I think its incorrect in the context of the sentence.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by hrishi19884 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:49 am
osirus0830 wrote:All of these choices are awkward, and I doubt you see anything similar on the GMAT. If I had to pick one though, I would choose D. The use of the present perfect continuous tense is never seen on the GMAT and I think its incorrect in the context of the sentence.
You always stand ahead Osirus! Thank You.

Answer is indeed D.

But, what made you reject E?
Hrishi

"As you sow, so shall you reap"

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:51 am
"On the day after having had" is way too awkward to ever be correct on the GMAT. This may be something that you won't recognize though. With linguistics, American English would never word something like that. It is too pretentious and awkward, so I eliminated it as soon as I read it.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.