hardening of the arteries

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members

hardening of the arteries

by Ankitaverma » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:21 am
Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could help reverse blockage of coronary arteries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could
(B) Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could
(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
(E) Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

Q/a-E why not A

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:37 pm
Ankitaverma wrote:Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could help reverse blockage of coronary arteries, the blood vessels that feed the heart.

(A) Despite no proof that the consumption of any particular foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods could
(B) Despite no foods having been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries when consumed, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
(C) Although the consumption of no particular foods have been proved to reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that to refrain from eating certain foods could
(D) Although not proved that the consumption of any foods reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can
(E) Although it has not been proved that the consumption of any particular food will reverse hardening of the arteries, studies indicate that refraining from eating certain foods can

Q/a-E why not A
In A and D, reverse (plural) does not agree with consumption (singular).
Eliminate A and D.

In C, have been proved (plural) does not agree with consumption (singular).

NOUN + having-modifier is always wrong.
Thus in B, foods having been proved is incorrect.
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:50 pm
Hi Ankitaverma,

This SC has some subtle rules to it, and you could very easily eliminate a number of the wrong answers to 'zero in' on the correct one. I opted to focus on the comparison/parallelism.

In the original sentence, the phrase "Despite no proof" presents a noun ("proof") but in the latter part of the sentence, the phrase "studies indicate" presents a verb ("indicate"). While both parts are underlined, all 5 answers use the phrase "studies indicate", so we should be looking for an opening phrase that uses a verb. Only the correct answer E gives us a parallel verb.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members

by AnjaliOberoi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:22 am
Sorry for asking a basic question, but can anyone tell HOW THE "CONSUMPTION" is singular.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by deepakk » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:33 am
Sorry if I am wrong but I approached this question in different way.
1)The first part of the sentence ends with reverse hardening of the arteries(Present Tense)
Eating certain foods could is not in Present Tense
So I eliminated Option A and Option C.

2)Having Been Made is making the sentence Passive which is not preferred.Eliminate Option B.

3)Although not proved is not conveying the meaning clearly.
It requires a subject which is absent in this option.

Hence option E is correct.

Please let me know if I am correct?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:01 pm
AnjaliOberoi wrote:Sorry for asking a basic question, but can anyone tell HOW THE "CONSUMPTION" is singular.
By definition, consumption -- the ACT of ingesting food -- is singular.
The prepositional phrase of any particular foods serves as an adjective describing the KIND of consumption.
What KIND of consumption?
The consumption OF ANY PARTICULAR FOODS.
Regardless of this modifying phrase, consumption remains a singular subject.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3