Hard Assumption- Veritas question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Hard Assumption- Veritas question

by Mo2men » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:40 am
A famous football player recently won a lawsuit against an advertising firm for using an actor in a fundraising event to appear as a football player to sign autographs and take pictures with attendees. As a result of the lawsuit, advertising firms will stop using actors to impersonate famous athletes. Therefore, advertising costs will rise, since actual famous athlete costs more than that of impersonating actor.

The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

(A) Most attendees are unable to distinguish a famous athlete from a impersonating actor.
(B) Events using famous athletes are usually more successfull than those that use impersonating actors.
(C) Some famous atheltes who would be popular at such events are ill at present.
(D) Advertising firms will continue to use imitators to impersonate famous athletes but will do so with the disclosure that the actors are not real athletes.
(E) Events will continue to attract attendees with the opportunity to recieve an autograph by and a a picture with a famous athlete

OA : E

I need help to understand why it is choice E correct?? Where is the link between premise and conclusion? How the conclusion will be invalidated when negating the right answer?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:46 am
The following version of this problem seems better worded:
Mo2men wrote:A famous football player recently won a lawsuit against an event-planning firm for its using an actor at a fundraising event to appear as the football player to sign autographs and take pictures with attendees. As a result of the lawsuit, event-planning firms will stop using actors to impersonate famous athletes. Therefore, the costs of fundraising events will rise, since the appearance of an actual famous athlete costs significantly more than that of an impersonating actor.

The conclusion above is based on which of the following assumptions?

A. Most fundraising event attendees are unable to distinguish an impersonating actor from the real athlete.

B. Fundraising events that use real athletes typically are more successful than those that use imitating actors.

C. Some famous athletes who would be popular at fundraising events are not available to attend because of their old age and poor health condition.

D. Fundraising events will continue to use actors to impersonate famous athletes, but will now do so with the disclosure that such actors are not actually the athletes whom they impersonate.

E. Fundraising events will continue to attract attendees with the opportunity to receive an autograph by and a picture with a famous athlete.
Premise:
A famous football player recently won a lawsuit against an event-planning firm.
Prediction:
The costs of fundraising events will rise, since the appearance of an actual famous athlete costs significantly more than that of an impersonating actor.

Apply the NEGATION TEST.
When the correct answer choice is negated, the conclusion will be invalidated.

E, negated:
Fundraising events will NO LONGER attract attendees with the opportunity to receive an autograph by and a picture with a famous athlete.
If events stop offering the opportunity to interact with a famous athlete, the argument cannot conclude that costs will rise because of the higher cost of hiring famous athletes.
Since the negation of E invalidates the conclusion that costs will rise, E is an assumption: a statement that MUST BE TRUE for the conclusion to hold.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3