Grockit - United Nations

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:680

Grockit - United Nations

by hitmis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:05 am
Source : Grockit

The United Nations, in response to the ongoing Liberian Civil war, has recently approved the imposition of some strict policies, which are specifically applicable to the volatile situation there.

a.
b. strict policies, where the volatile situation can have these measures applied to it.
c. policies that are strict, measures specifically applied to their volatile situation.
d. strict policies, measures specifically applicable to Liberia's volatile situation.
e. policies that are strict and specifically applicable to the volatile situation there.

imo later.

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by uwhusky » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:16 am
I like D.

I don't think which or where is applicable relative pronoun for policies, so that takes care of A and B. I think the proper relative pronoun should be "in which."

C has ambiguous "their", which is meant to point at "Liberian" and E has an ambiguous "there", which is meant to point at "Liberia", neither one exists.
Yep.

GMAT Score:680

by hitmis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:23 am
I believe "policies,which" is correct in option A if the "there" was changed "in Liberia", is that right ?

If not "which" what other pronoun would you use here?

Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:760

by mj78ind » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:04 am
one more for D.

Agree with uwhusky comments and the same reasoning.
Call me 1 - (412) 897 6727 (US) or leave a msg on BTG for GMAT advise / questions.
If you like the solution, check out my debrief at and leave a comment:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/760-done-dea ... 66740.html

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:710

by ankurmit » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:33 am
I am confused between A and D

A seems a better choice.
Pls post OA
Last edited by ankurmit on Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------
Ankur mittal

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Yanat » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 am
The United Nations, in response to the ongoing Liberian Civil war, has recently approved the imposition of some strict policies, which are specifically applicable to the volatile situation there.

a. -- what does there mean/refer to here.
b. strict policies, where the volatile situation can have these measures applied to it. what does it refer to here.
c. policies that are strict, measures specifically applied to their volatile situation. -- their is the culprit. there is no reference to their in this
d. strict policies, measures specifically applicable to Liberia's volatile situation.
e. policies that are strict and specifically applicable to the volatile situation there. -- what does there mean/refer to here.

I feel it is D. Because the sentence is clear and 'imposition of some strict policies' clearly modifies 'measures specifically applicable to Liberia's volatile situation'.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by niksworth » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:33 am
hitmis wrote:I believe "policies,which" is correct in option A if the "there" was changed "in Liberia", is that right ?

If not "which" what other pronoun would you use here?
I wouldn't think so. A relative clause/phrase introduced by a which after a comma signifies a non essential clause/phrase. I think that the part specifically applicable to the volatile situation there is quite essential to the sentence, and hence the use of which seems inappropriate.

D is a valid sentence but if you want something along the lines of A, the following would be correct -

The United Nations, in response to the ongoing Liberian Civil war, has recently approved the imposition of some strict policies that are specifically applicable to the volatile situation in Liberia.
scio me nihil scire