gprep sc-2

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

gprep sc-2

by abhasjha » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:01 pm
Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which have been driven by the need to save money and extend companies' service areas, the merger of the nation's leading gas and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening their utility markets to competition.

A. and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening

B. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open

C. and electric companies are intended to create a huge network that will be marketing the utilities in question, with states opening

D. company and electric company are intending to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question, with states opening
E. company and leading electric company is intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:04 am
Unlike most other mergers in the utility industry, which have been driven by the need to save money and extend companies' service areas, the merger of the nation's leading gas and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening their utility markets to competition.

(A) and electric company is intended to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question with states opening

(B) and electric companies are intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open

(C) and electric companies are intended to create a huge network that will be marketing the utilities in question, with states opening

(D) company and electric company are intending to create a huge marketing network for the utilities in question, with states opening

(E) company and leading electric company is intended to create a huge network for marketing the utilities in question as states open
A merger occurs when TWO companies combine to form a single new company.
A: the merger of the nation's leading gas and electric company
Here, what OTHER company is merging with the nation's leading gas and electric company?
Eliminate A.

B and C: the merger...are intended
Here, are intended (plural) does not agree with the merger (singular).
Eliminate B and C.

D: the merger...are intending
Here, are intending (plural) does not agree with the merger (singular).
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:42 pm
Hi abhasjha,

This SC comes down to 2 common common GMAT grammar rules:

1) Subject-verb agreement: You'll notice in the answers that we have a choice between "is" and "are"; since we're dealing with "the merger...." we need to verb "is." Eliminate B, C and D.

2) Parallelism: The sentence talks about the merger of 2 companies, so we need a clear (and parallel) reference to each - "leading gas company" and "leading electric company." Eliminate A.

Final Answer: E

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]