gprep -4 - DS

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

Legendary Member
Followed by:24 members

by GMATinsight » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 am
abhasjha wrote:Image
Question : The quadrant in which Beam will be located after 30 Seconds?

To answer the Question we require
1) The current position of beam in one of the 4 Quadrants [GIVEN IN THE FIGURE i.e. Ist Quadrant]
2) The rate (angle traveled per second) at which beam rotates

Statement 1) The total rotation in 30 Seconds = 3690 Degrees
Current location in the quadrant is known already. Also beam will be 90 degrees ahead from it's current position Clockwise [because 3690 = 3600+90] i.e. in 4th Quadrant , therefore,
SUFFICIENT

Statement 2) r = 40 degrees
Current position is known but not the angle traveled per second, therefore,
INSUFFICIENT

Answer: Option A
"GMATinsight"Bhoopendra Singh & Sushma Jha
Most Comprehensive and Affordable Video Course 2000+ CONCEPT Videos and Video Solutions
Whatsapp/Mobile: +91-9999687183 l [email protected]
Contact for One-on-One FREE ONLINE DEMO Class Call/e-mail
Most Efficient and affordable One-On-One Private tutoring fee - US$40-50 per hour

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:35 pm

The figure above shows the present position on a radar screen of a sweeping beam that is rotating at a constant rate in a clockwise direction. In which of the four quadrants will the beam lie 30 seconds from now ?

(1) In each 30-second period, the beam sweeps through 3690°
(2) r = 40
Target question: In which of the four quadrants will the beam lie 30 seconds from now ?

Statement 1: In each 30-second period, the beam sweeps through 3690°
So, the beam will spin clockwise around the screen several times over the 30-second period.

IMPORTANT: Each time the beam spins 360°, the beam stops at the SAME PLACE as its present location.
So, if the beam spins 3600°, it is spinning around 10 times, and stopping at the SAME PLACE as its present location. At the moment, the beam is is Quadrant I.

Statement 1 says that the beam spins 3690°. In other words, it spins 10 complete times PLUS an extra 90°
So, the beam's final resting place will be 90° (in a clockwise direction) from its present location. Since each quadrant spans 90° and since the beam is presently in Quadrant I, we can be certain that the beam will end up in Quadrant IV
Since we can answer the target question with certainty, statement 1 is SUFFICIENT

Statement 2: r = 40
No information about how the beam will move during the next 30 seconds.
Since we cannot answer the target question with certainty, statement 2 is NOT SUFFICIENT

Answer = A

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com