Got screwed today :(

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Got screwed today :(

by psibond » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:00 am
Hi guys
i gave GMAT today. I got 600(q50 v20). it makes me feel bad. but its ok. i am gonna rewrite it.

May be you guys can help me get a much better score.

1st : my study plan was totally bad. i never could read according to my plans.

2nd : I always got 48-51 in quant and 26-30 in verbal..only once i got 33.Thats my highest. over all Gmat range is 620-680. i gave 5 manhattan tests and gmat prep tests.

3rd : while studying from OG i could almost answer every 3 outta 5 qns correctly(SCs and CRs). but RCs were big head aches for me. while practicing, I never timed my self though. But in exams, i never did well in this part.Today, it was all a different experience. I felt the pressure from beginning because i thought my quant paper went very bad. I was so restless. frankly speaking, i dont know how manage time and answer them or do better in the verbal part.

4th- you people always talk about 700+ type questions. From where i can get that kinda questions.

I am really slow in RCs. How to improve the speed. I basically write down imp. points. But it takes a lot of time for me and finally i answer incorrectly.

Need your help badly guys.

by Brenpat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 am
Sorry to hear about it. Did you find the questions were similar to the OG or not?

by psibond » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:19 am
Well..i dont know..i found the verbal very tough..and quant was ok..i guess its similar..sorry bro..Not a right person to answer that.

by Brenpat » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:38 am
how did you prepare for the test?

GMAT Score:710

by fujima26 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:27 pm
if you're looking for 700+ level verbal questions, check out my post "490->710 (Q48, V40) Some useful tips." in the same forum. You can find attachments that contain 700+ level questions for SC, CR, PS and DS. In the same post, just scroll down and you can find my strategy for RC. Another member asked the same question earlier.

Hope this helps.

GMAT Score:760

by CaseNX » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:50 pm
For 700+ questions I suggest the advanced section of the MGMAT books.

LSAT guide for critical reasoning if you really want it, but I found MGMAT to be more than sufficient.

It sounds like you got killed by the mental part of this test. Take this part just as serious as the math and verbal...

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by outreach » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 am
do not loose hope..
keep trying..
all the best for ur preps
-------------------------------------
--------------------------------------
General blog
https://amarnaik.wordpress.com
MBA blog
https://amarrnaik.blocked/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Victory_GMAT » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:55 pm
psibond wrote:Well..i dont know..i found the verbal very tough..and quant was ok..i guess its similar..sorry bro..Not a right person to answer that.
First and foremost, Remember, nothing is tough! Verbal part is intentionally designed for average skim readers. Work on each area individually and you see your score rocket up.

-In SC

Check what type of concepts force you to guess..because while you apply rules in SC, the guess portion in SC should be least or minimal.

-In CR

Work of pattern of reasonings tested in GMAT most commonly such as:

1). Initiating para with a research results and concluding results with unwarranted assumption..For Instance..

Survey Conducted in XYZ Hospital indicated that people of ABC town are getting infection frequently.......and then many less important facts to keep test taker confuse................therefore residents of town decided to use a anti-infection solution to keep residents safe.

If question ask about the Flaw in reasoning or weakening conclusion then the BEST and CORRECT answer will directly attack on accuracy of data on which conclusion is based. As shown below:

Ask yourself:

-Isn't it that Hospital works only for those who visit Hospital as a patient?
-If Hospital only works for Patients then How Can it make a assertion on behalf of whole Town or All residents of Town?

Above is just one type of reasoning pattern and few more patterns such as above one are most frequently tested on GMAT. Just work on those type of patterns. Sit Quietly and think How a lier can make a story and justify a conclusion based on wrong assumptions. Imagine all kinds of manuveur one can use to conclude something on the basis on flawed reasoning.

In RC

Work again and RC passages. This time try with LSAT passages of 70-75 lines. This will increase your reading stamina and also help you to see structural relationship in passage.

-History, Political Science Passages
-Science Passages
-Legal passages

by psibond » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:59 am
@Brenpat : I studied QUANT and DS at most for 1 hour and just kept on reading verbal whenever i felt like studying. I think i should have tried more to understand the type of questions, how to guess and how to attack etc.

fujima26: Thanks a ton.i hope those materials attached with your other post will be of great help for sure.

Victory_GMAT : Thanks man. That is very informative.

Thanks CaseNX and outreach

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Kei » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:44 am
I'm currently using the 60-day study guide which is pretty good. You may find it useful; just a thought.

Best of luck!