Got just 570. Completely devastated:(

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Got just 570. Completely devastated:(

by lotrgandalf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:06 am
I wrote GMAT today, and got mere 570 (QA-48, VA-20). I was consistently scoring V30 in my mocks. I started with verbal and was not feeling confident even for answers I was sure about. This killed my vital time. I was at ques no 22 when just 18 minutes were left. Then I quickly marked plenty of questions. (10) without even looking at them - mainly consisted of 2 rcs & 4 Crs.
What should I do? I am planning to apply in New Zealand. Do I have any chances?
Please help. I am also planning to retake the GMAT. I am not confident though.
Please help! Need guidance. :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:05 am
Hi lotrgandalf,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we can talk about any of that though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) What are the application deadlines for the Schools that you're interested in?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by lotrgandalf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:51 pm
[email protected] wrote:Hi lotrgandalf,

I'm sorry to hear that Test Day didn't go as well as planned. When these types of score drops occur, the two likely "causes" involve either something that was unrealistic during practice or something that was surprising (or not accounted for) on Test Day. Before we can talk about any of that though, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:

3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
5) What are the application deadlines for the Schools that you're interested in?

Rich

Hi Rich,
Studies:
- 2 months
- MGMAT, CR powerscore bible, OG 2016. Didn't time myself :(. I should have timed myself.
- Quant - 50, 49. Verbal - 30, 34
Goals:
- Above 700.
- December 2017 - January 2018

My personal analysis: My verbal speed is really slow. I think I lack the strategy that's needed to crack verbal. MGMAT are the best books around. They cleared each of my concepts. I think, I am missing something on my personal front, and that is "a fool proof strategy"; plus I should time myself for each & every question. Given proper strategy, to help me tackle the questions more confidently, within the set time range, will surely improve my score.

During the exam, I took extra care to ensure that I mark the first 10 questions correctly. I really doubt that I could. This process ate up most of my time. After the 10th question, I was unable to judge the difficulty level of the questions that came up in CR, & spent extra time on each of them. I was at question number 22 when just 20 mins were left. I was shocked & quickly marked the upcoming questions randomly, while trying to focus on alternate questions. But my mind was constantly cursing myself that I wasted a lot of time. Ah! Well that was it. I ruined my verbal score. Thank God, that I could focus myself on quant & remaining sections.
I really need help to get V35+ in verbal. Can I still get my dream score, & get selected?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:06 am
Hi lotrgandalf,

While it's certainly possible that you just had a 'bad day', we still need to investigate certain aspects of how you were studying (and how you handled the lead-up to Test Day and Test Day itself):

When you took your CATs:
1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you took your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE?

Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]