Got into BC and BU, still waiting on some others...

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hey Guys-

I recently got into BC and BU, with partial scholarships. Still waiting to hear back from USC and UT, but they're kind of a stretch for me.

My profile is: 3.7 GPA from top lib arts, 600 gmat, 4 years trading experience from BB, UK citizen living in NY, solid extra activities and international experiences. My gmat was obviously the weakest aspect of my application, but I decided to apply pretty late in the year and only got to take it once. I decided to dedicate a month to really nail the essays and recommendations instead of retaking the test -- and I think it paid off.

Assuming I get dinged from USC and UT (both my top choices), I dont know where I will decide to go - but I'm leaning towards BC right now. I want to get back into a trading role and come back to NYC.

Any advice appreciated and I'm happy to help anyone with any questions or concerns.. my strengths are really with the essays so fire away...

wonda123 wrote:Hey Guys-

I recently got into BC and BU, with partial scholarships. Still waiting to hear back from USC and UT, but they're kind of a stretch for me.

My profile is: 3.7 GPA from top lib arts, 600 gmat, 4 years trading experience from BB, UK citizen living in NY, solid extra activities and international experiences. My gmat was obviously the weakest aspect of my application, but I decided to apply pretty late in the year and only got to take it once. I decided to dedicate a month to really nail the essays and recommendations instead of retaking the test -- and I think it paid off.

Assuming I get dinged from USC and UT (both my top choices), I dont know where I will decide to go - but I'm leaning towards BC right now. I want to get back into a trading role and come back to NYC.

Any advice appreciated and I'm happy to help anyone with any questions or concerns.. my strengths are really with the essays so fire away...
For equity/fixed income trading (hence Finance), I would say BC. BC has a strong finance & investment management network in the northeast. BU's finance really isn't on the map, at least that's a perception I have being in the investment management field.

Just curious, if you're in NY and don't plan to change career...why not go for NYU part-time?

by wonda123 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:15 pm
Simple answer is that I don't want to do a partime program... I want to be done in 2 years (vs 4). I would love to go to NYU fulltime, but I didnt feel my profile was good enough. Would you agree?

by 334MBA » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:28 pm
wonda123 wrote:Simple answer is that I don't want to do a partime program... I want to be done in 2 years (vs 4). I would love to go to NYU fulltime, but I didnt feel my profile was good enough. Would you agree?
Agreed with your 2 vs 4 years preference. I think it'd be a challenge to get into NYU full-time with a 600 unless all other parts of your application are stellar. However, it wouldn't hurt to try. The worst thing that could happen is losing couple hundred dollars you spent on the application fee.

Good luck with USC and UT! I think you'll do just fine with any of your 4 schools. They're all great programs.

by wonda123 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:42 am
Thanks.. I just interviewed with UT.. fingers crossed!