GMATPREP:Whales

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMATPREP:Whales

by zaarathelab » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:17 am
Whales originated in the freshwater lakes and rivers of ancient Asia about sixty
million years ago. Not until about ten million years later did species of whales
develop specialized kidneys enabling them to drink salt water. Although fossil
evidence shows that some early whale species that lacked such kidneys
sometimes swam in the Earth's saltwater oceans, these species must have had to
return frequently to freshwater rivers to drink. Which of the following is most
strongly supported by the information given?
A. Fossils of whale species dating from between sixty million and fifty million years
ago will not be found on continents that were at the time separated from ancient
Asia by wide expanses of ocean.

B. Among whale fossils that date from later than about fifty million years ago, none
are fossils of whale species that drank only fresh water.
C. Fossils of whale species that drank fresh water will not be found in close
proximity to fossils of whale species that drank salt water.
D. The earliest whales that drank salt water differed from fresh-water-drinking
whales only in their possession of specialized kidneys.
E. Between sixty million and fifty million years ago, the freshwater lakes and rivers
in which whales originated were gradually invaded by salt water.

Please provide explanations
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by vzzai » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:34 am
I went for D.
Please provide the OA.
Thank you,
Vj

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:16 am
zaarathelab wrote:Whales originated in the freshwater lakes and rivers of ancient Asia about sixty
million years ago. Not until about ten million years later did species of whales develop specialized kidneys enabling them to drink salt water. Although fossil
On the GMAT, the correct inference is the answer choice that MUST BE TRUE.
One strategy is to apply the NEGATION TEST. The negation of the correct answer choice will directly contradict information in the passage.

Answer choice A, negated: Fossils of whale species dating from between sixty million and fifty million years ago WILL BE FOUND on continents that were at the time SEPARATED FROM ASIA BY WIDE EXPANSES OF OCEAN.

The negation of A contradicts the following quote from the passage: These species must have had to return frequently to freshwater rivers to drink.

Since the early whales originated in Asia and needed access to freshwater rivers, they could not have migrated across wide expanses of ocean to other continents. Thus, the negation of A -- that fossils of these early whales will be found on faraway continents -- is impossible.
Since the negation of A contradicts the passage, A is the correct inference: the answer choice that MUST BE TRUE.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Followed by:1 members

by zaarathelab » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 pm
Mitch, although the info in the paragraph states that these species must have had to return frequently to freshwater to drink, what if they couldn't return and died in the saltwater (since they can't drink saltwater.) Their bodies could have been washed away to the salt water side of the shore. fossilizing over millions of years.

Am I thinking too much?
Success = Max(Hardwork) + Min(Luck)

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:56 am
zaarathelab wrote:Mitch, although the info in the paragraph states that these species must have had to return frequently to freshwater to drink, what if they couldn't return and died in the saltwater (since they can't drink saltwater.) Their bodies could have been washed away to the salt water side of the shore. fossilizing over millions of years.

Am I thinking too much?
The passage states that these species MUST have had to return frequently to freshwater rivers to drink. To consider what would happen if the whales were UNABLE to return goes beyond the scope of the passage.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:25 am
I can not do this question. we need to find out why this question is hard and find out the method to attack this hardness.

expert, pls, help .

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:42 am
I see that gmatprep question is hard beautifuly and so is of high quality. testprep should focus on gmatprep questions.

we need to find out why this is hard and method to attack the hardest so that we can do this question next time we meet it and, for test prep companies, to make the questions of high quality as that of gmatprep. the same purpose.

pls, help me and your job, test prep.

I am a non native and try to improve the score by , reading a lot and learning skill for each question,

pls, help

by alanforde800Maximus » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
zaarathelab wrote:Whales originated in the freshwater lakes and rivers of ancient Asia about sixty
million years ago. Not until about ten million years later did species of whales develop specialized kidneys enabling them to drink salt water. Although fossil
On the GMAT, the correct inference is the answer choice that MUST BE TRUE.
One strategy is to apply the NEGATION TEST. The negation of the correct answer choice will directly contradict information in the passage.

Answer choice A, negated: Fossils of whale species dating from between sixty million and fifty million years ago WILL BE FOUND on continents that were at the time SEPARATED FROM ASIA BY WIDE EXPANSES OF OCEAN.

The negation of A contradicts the following quote from the passage: These species must have had to return frequently to freshwater rivers to drink.

Since the early whales originated in Asia and needed access to freshwater rivers, they could not have migrated across wide expanses of ocean to other continents. Thus, the negation of A -- that fossils of these early whales will be found on faraway continents -- is impossible.
Since the negation of A contradicts the passage, A is the correct inference: the answer choice that MUST BE TRUE.

The correct answer is A.
Hello Mitch,

Can you share your reasoning to eliminate other options?

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:29 pm
alanforde800Maximus wrote:Hello Mitch,

Can you share your reasoning to eliminate other options?
The remaining answer choices, negated:

B: Among whale fossils that date from later than about fifty million years ago, some
are fossils of whale species that drank only fresh water.

C: Fossils of whale species that drank fresh water will be found in close
proximity to fossils of whale species that drank salt water.

D: The earliest whales that drank salt water differed from fresh-water-drinking
whales in ways aside from their possession of specialized kidneys.

E: Between sixty million and fifty million years ago, the freshwater lakes and rivers
in which whales originated were not gradually invaded by salt water.

None of the these negations contradicts the passage.
Since we can negate each of these answer choices without contradicting the passage, none constitutes a statement that MUST BE TRUE, given the information in the passage.
Eliminate B, C, D and E.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3