GMATPrep:Pls help with explaination of each to eliminate...

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
These are from GMATPrep:

Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendents, popular known as killer bees had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.
A. Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
B. In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
C. In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
D. It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when
E. It took less than 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then

By 1960, the pilot Rolph held sixteen official international speed records, and he earned them at a time when aviation was still so new for many of the planes he flew to be of dangerously experimental design.

A and he earned them at a time when avation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
B earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes he flew were
C earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes he flew were
D earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes he flew were
E earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes he flew were

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by AbhiS » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:18 am
I cant explain the first one, I got it wrong myself.

But this is where you can find some good explanation

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/les ... t4355.html

--------------

The 2nd one should be [spoiler]''E''[/spoiler]

A and he earned them at a time when avation was still so new for many of the planes she flew to be
B earning them at a time that aviation was still so new for many of the planes he flew were
C earning these at a time where aviation was still so new that many of the planes he flew were
D earned at a time in which aviation was still so new such that many of the planes he flew were
E earned at a time when aviation was still so new that many of the planes he flew were

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:27 pm
{A} - INCORRECT; "and he earned them" - "and" symbolizes that these two are different events. -> Meaning issue.
{B} - INCORRECT; we don't need adverbial modifier; "time that aviation" is wrong - "time when aviation" is correct
{C} - INCORRECT; "these" is wrong usage; "time where" is wrong
{D} - INCORRECT; "such" is changing the meaning; "time when" is better construct.
{E} - CORRECT;
R A H U L

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

by theCodeToGMAT » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 pm
himu wrote:These are from GMATPrep:

Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, their descendents, popular known as killer bees had migrated as far north as Southern Texas.
A. Less than 35 years after the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
B. In less than 35 years since releasing African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
C. In less than the 35 years since African honeybees had been released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil,
D. It took less than 35 years from the release of African honeybees outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, when
E. It took less than 35 years after the time that African honeybees were released outside Sao Paulo, Brazil, and then
I reached [spoiler]{A}[/spoiler] by elimination but I feel "In" should have been there in [spoiler]{A}[/spoiler]
R A H U L

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by ilyana » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:43 am
theCodeToGMAT wrote: I reached [spoiler]{A}[/spoiler] by elimination but I feel "In" should have been there in [spoiler]{A}[/spoiler]
Hello!

The following is what Ron said regarding your doubt:

"i'm with you on this one; i'd likewise prefer a wording such as 'in less than 35 years after...', because, in my opinion, it better conveys the idea that the migrations took place continuously over the 35-year period. just plain 'less than' seemed to me, and possibly to you as well, to suggest that the migrations might have occurred all at once.

in any case, though, you've got to remember that correctness trumps clarity (and definitely trumps concision as well). therefore, differences in wording, such as this one, are trifling in comparison to actual errors in usage, grammar, diction, or idiom. i think both of us will agree that there is no idiom error in the wording chosen here; it's just a somewhat awkward wording (a situation by no means uncommon on the real test)."

This excerpt of his explanation above can be found on https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/gma ... t1864.html
Please click on "Thank" button if you think my post is helpful.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ilyana-anderson-481846127/