GMAT was fun :) 770(99%ile) Q51(99%ile) V42(95%ile). AWA 5.5

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:770
Hi all,

I don't want to think that I beat the GMAT . I like to think of it more as luck and Gods Grace. :P. Besides I believe that everything can be improved.

Took the GMAT on January 3 2009 after 20 days of intense preparation. - Around 5-7 hours daily for 20 days.

Score:
Q- 51 99%ile
V- 42 95%ile -And All the while I thought my English was good. Sadly that was not the case :(
Total: 770 (99%ile)

AWA: 5.5 - Okay I guess

Practise tests
Gmat prep 1: 760 ( Q 51 V 41)
Gmat Prep 1 rerun 740( Q 51 V 39). day wasn't good i suppose :P
Gmat prep2: 770 ( Q 51 V 42
Kaplan Test 1: 720 ( I dont remember exact score, but I remember that I did not like the test) -"I remember that my verbal was 33 something and Quant was 50. "

I am a final year Engineering student and I think it helped me push up my quant scores.
Also, my preparation for CAT 08( admission test to IIM's In India) helped a lot. ( or so I think)

95% of my effort/preparation was for improving my verbal scores esp in SC and finally I think I was able to improve my score by 1 or 2 points.

Comparision of actual GMAT and GMAT prep tests
Quant of GMAt and GMAT prep was comparable.

But I felt that the Verbal of GMAT was a notch higher than GMAT prep.

Resources referred to:

SC - OG 11 and OG 10 completely.
Logical reasoning and Reading Comprehension- OG 11 & OG 10 - last 50 questions
OG 11 Quant - last 30 questions

Simple Tips from my experience:

Make a habit of writing AWA in practise tests also - It will help build up the stamina you require.

Eat some chocolates just before the exam- Good brain stimulators. :P. or maybe I just love chocolates :)

You can rerun the GMAt prep software(each test) for about 3 times- just my opinion-though I didn't do it more than twice.

Make sure you give at least some Kaplan tests. Even though they are not very representative of your actual scores, it will prepare you for the GMAT, in the sense that every question will be new and you will feel frustrated :). And that's good because, you will feel the same when you are taking the actual GMAT.( All questions will feel very new and unknown, though they are actually familiar to you :P )

For those yet to take the GMAT- Wish you all the best :)
For those who took GMAT and got your target score- Congratulations

For those who took GMAT and did not achieve their traget score:
You might just be the luckiest- Learn to maximise the best/positives in everything.
(None of the Most succesful people on earth have an MBA from a top Bschool.) Your competency may not be giving tests but something much better- Start exploring your passions. To be frank, if you are confident enough and believe in what you want to do, you dont require any MBA. You can always employ an MBA :).

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by moorthy76 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:18 am
Congrats on your score... All the best... :)
Best Regards,
Surya

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by washingtoniii » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:07 pm
DRAKE - Thanks soooooooooo much for posting. Your story is inspiring, but what's even more insightful is your perspective on "passions". I appreciate you sharing! Congratulations and good luck with life!