GMAT scoring

Ask your questions about Manhattan Prep products/services here
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

GMAT scoring

by rahultmac29 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:28 pm
Hi,
I am new to this forum and needed some clarity regarding scoring.
Even though i have heard that the practice is to not bother about the scoring patterns, but if i could get an indicator regarding the same it would be mighty helpful.

I have given a few GMAT Preps and MGMAT-1 till date.

My scoring is as follows:

1. GMAT Prep1 : 590 (dnt remember the split, it was given before start of any prep)
2. GMAT Prep2: 690 (Q-49,V-34)
3. MGMAT-1: 710 (Q-49,V-38)
4. GMAT Prep reloaded: 730 (Q-48,V-41)

None of the questions in my GMAT Preps were repeated.

In the final test that i gave I had only 7 incorrect answers (q.no 13,21,28,30,31,35,41) in Verbal, whereas in the tests before that i was getting 10-12 incorrect. Also i got 1 RC, 2CR and 4SC wrong in the above mentioned test.

Can I take this as an indicative that to get a score of 760+ I need to get less than 7 incorrect on Verbal? Or is it the fact that i got 4 incorrect in the final 12 that is killing me?
How many can I afford to get wrong if I were looking at a V-42 to V-44? Since the experts would have an idea of the number they got wrong, maybe they can guide me regarding this....

Also I know I can improve my Quant score to 50 or 51, as I my Math is decent. Its just that i have been to anxious to get
my Verbal score up above the V-41 range.

I have come a great deal of distance from a 590 and my GMAT date is 10th August. So I have just over 15 days to get my scores up to 760. I plan to take up the rest of the MGMAT's (2 to 6) and GMAT Prep a few more times.

Can u also suggest something else that can help me reduce the count of errors? What should my prep strategy be for these last few days?
Any other pointers in this regard would be highly appreciated...

Thanks

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by rahultmac29 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:15 am
Hi ,
Really looking for some help here...

Official Company Rep

by mgmat-caitlin » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:41 am
Hi,

Thanks for your question.

I cannot stress enough that the number of questions you get correctly or incorrectly does not correlate to the score that you will get. More importantly than the number of questions you get right, is what ability level the questions you got right were. This has to do with the computer adaptive nature of the test.

I think this article will help clarify: https://www.manhattangmat.com/strategy-s ... -score.cfm

Please let me know if you need further clarification on this. :)

Best,
Caitlin
Caitlin Clay
Student Services, Manhattan GMAT