GMAT Prep Vs. Powerprep

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT Prep Vs. Powerprep

by drhomler » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:59 pm
Any thoughts on the difficulty level betwen the two. Would love to hear others opinions. Ive read some back posts regarding the overlap between OG 10 and the Powerprep software in addition to the Powerprep being slightly outdated with a "truncated" algorithm. I only ask because this evening half asleep I took a Powerprep test that my bros. gave me and I scored a 710 46Q, 42V which is in stark contrast to the 620 I scored yesterday on the GMATprep software.

I thought I got every one right in the math, but I noticed I made several mistakes in regard to adding and subtracting again and I even blanked on how to cross multiply. THe Verbal I thought I was doing terrible on I fiished with 15 minutes to spare. The SC was far easier in my opinion.

Thoughts?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:05 pm
The "difficulty" level between the two tests should be about the same. They questions are similar, although PowerPrep's are older...
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

by drhomler » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:39 am
Thanks Eric, that makes me feel a little better. The promising thing fo rme is I did not notice any overlap from questions Ive seen in the Verbal possibly 1 question, and the Quant I think there were two but I thoroughly worked them out and lucky for me I didnt memorize the answers that happens to me due to my memory(very beneficial in high school)lol. I will take the final powerprep and the final gmatprep by the end of this week, I have about 11 days left to go I will concentrating on mostly SC and the last 25 DS and PS after that its just me and fate.

I do have to say, it is frustrating that certain topic areas that I consider easy the gmac considers hard and vice-versa. Some of the PS questions in the high 230's in the OG I can do faster and more accurate than the ones in the 150's

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:45 pm
PowerPrep does not use the official test algorithm but GMATPrep does (though there are still some other differences that bring down GMATPrep's validity level compared to the official test). But, generally, the GMATPrep test should be a more accurate predictor of an official test score b/c it does actually use the same algorithm.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

powerprep

by resilient » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:13 pm
so are there are any explanations to the answers that you may have missed in the software. WHEre could I get the software? Is it for sale?
Appetite for 700 and I scraped my plate!

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT prep?

by meghamehta15 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:15 pm
I have downloaded PowerPrep from MBA.com and I scored a 720 on it yesterday morning. How is GMAT prep different from PowerPrep. Also where I can find the GMAT prep software? I took another test in the evening the Manhattan free test and scored a 590! I was tired by the end of the day and so stressed out after doing a few questions incorrect that the rest of the test was screwed. Quant was much tougher than what I had seen before. any advice on what to make of the huge difference between my scores will be appreciated.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

Re: GMAT prep?

by beatthegmat » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:52 pm
meghamehta15 wrote:I have downloaded PowerPrep from MBA.com and I scored a 720 on it yesterday morning. How is GMAT prep different from PowerPrep. Also where I can find the GMAT prep software? I took another test in the evening the Manhattan free test and scored a 590! I was tired by the end of the day and so stressed out after doing a few questions incorrect that the rest of the test was screwed. Quant was much tougher than what I had seen before. any advice on what to make of the huge difference between my scores will be appreciated.
PowerPrep is the precursor to GMATPrep--most PowerPrep questions are derived from OG 10.

GMATPrep is available for download at https://www.mba.com
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:14 am
meghamehta15 wrote:I have downloaded PowerPrep from MBA.com and I scored a 720 on it yesterday morning. How is GMAT prep different from PowerPrep. Also where I can find the GMAT prep software? I took another test in the evening the Manhattan free test and scored a 590! I was tired by the end of the day and so stressed out after doing a few questions incorrect that the rest of the test was screwed. Quant was much tougher than what I had seen before. any advice on what to make of the huge difference between my scores will be appreciated.
If you downloaded it recently, then it got to be GMAT prep and not PowerPrep.
They (mba.com) dont keep POWER Prep s/w since more than two years.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by hillzheng » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:09 pm
The PowerPrep, older version of GMATPrep contains more questions.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mim3duke » Mon May 05, 2008 8:24 pm
meghamehta- MGMAT tests can be brutal and, in my opinion, significantly harder overall than than most other tests. The quant is much more computational and complex than anything else I've come across. The verbal is closer to the mark. Don't sweat it if the quant threw you for a loop.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by shom » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:18 pm
I know that its old, but does anyone know where to get Power Prep?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:23 am
Don't know where to get PowerPrep, sorry!

meghamehta - don't take two practice tests on the same day! That's like running two marathons on the same day; of course you're going to be mentally fatigued and your score's going to go down on the second test. :)

In general, don't take a practice test more than once a week. Tests are "read out" points: they're how you tell whether the work you did since the last test helped you to improve your performance. If you don't do much work between two tests, you shouldn't expect much difference in the scores (unless, of course, you do something like take two tests on the same day, take a test very late at night when you're a morning person, etc.). (There are also variables based upon taking tests from different suppliers, of course.)

Also, notice that I said "improve your performance" above but I didn't say "improve your score." The work you do in a week (or even two or three) may not make an appreciable difference to your score. But if you studied geometry, say, during that week, then you should look to see whether your geometry performance improved on that test, even if other areas didn't improve. Eventually, of course, we hope that our overall scores improve, but one week of study typically doesn't correspond to a huge leap.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

by gucci11887 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:30 pm
Hi,
I recently downloaded the old power prep from this website. I have not taken the whole test yet. But it installed and worked.

https://www.gorillatestprep.com/gmat_resources.html

by skang357 » Wed May 20, 2009 5:47 pm
Maybe I got better but I doubt it because I've been scoring less than 600 on MGMAT Cat's, but the PowerPrep Q is way too easy. This is my assessment after taking one test.

Not good practice IMO if you want to score over 700. However, I feel it gives you a good idea of what to expect in terms of 600 level questions.
Impossible is nothing

by tintin1 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:32 am
hey i had a very imp question...
i generally dont finish the verbal test n sometimes quant....
i tend 2 mark the last 5-6 quests of verbal blindly....
are the last few questions that important..i was thinking of leaving the last rc oassage so that i finish my exam....
i alread gave the GMAT once n scored lreally low coz i didnt have enought ime...im giving it again on 31st dec...pl suggest something for the time manangement...is it ok 2 leave a few inbetween