GMAT prep vs long working hrs

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

GMAT prep vs long working hrs

by vibhorsinghal » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:21 pm
Hi,

I read someone's post in another thread asking for advice on quiting job or not for GMAT prep.

I too sometimes feel of quitting my coding job(software development)that doesn't intrst me neither it pays me well.I have 2.5 yrs wrk-ex as of now and i m intrstd in business and management kinda job.Sometimes it becomes so frustating at wrk place that i feel to quit at that moment only.but than i agree that if we can't tackle these situations how can we think of an MBA as an MBA must possess the skills to tackle and manage these tough situations.

At my wrk place i have to wrk for long hours and my satrdays r also wrking.I am quite skeptical about my prep with such hard wrking hrs.I have taken prep course and have a schedule for myself but as of now i m lagging behind by schedule.

I will be writing gmat on 15th july'09 and my diagnostic test was worst than ever.

I am studying on a regular basis though,almost 2hrs in morning and 1 to 1 n half hrs in evening, if possible.

My job is obviously not secure in such mkt conditions and most of my day is spent at offis.after 2.5 yrs i m not getting a gud pay at all.

All these things frustates a lot but my priority is GMAT.

l bilieve a gud manager must know how to deal with tough situations and still become successful.!!!

waiting for ur comments!!!
Vibhor

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by EricKryk » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:36 pm
I feel for you man. It sucks to feel like your work doesn't fulfill you. I don't think prepping for the GMAT alone is reason to quit your job though, especially if you might have a hard time getting re-employed (you mentioned that market conditions make the job situation fragile as it is)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm
V- I agree with Eric, in this type of job market you want to be careful about leaving your job. That said, it very important to achieve a high GMAT score to be competitive for a top MBA program - esp if you are an Indian candidate with an IT/Engineering background. Unfortunately it is a very competitive applicant pool.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by vibhorsinghal » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:17 pm
thnx for ur thoughts both of u.....these r really helpful for me!!
I am not quitting job at the moment but dnt know for how long i will be on my seat....days may be tough ahead.Moreover i am dieing to do MBA as my current job profile doesn't satisfy myself.

rgds
Vibhor

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Re: GMAT prep vs long working hrs

by doclkk » Wed May 13, 2009 7:35 am
vibhorsinghal wrote:Hi,

I read someone's post in another thread asking for advice on quiting job or not for GMAT prep.

I too sometimes feel of quitting my coding job(software development)that doesn't intrst me neither it pays me well.I have 2.5 yrs wrk-ex as of now and i m intrstd in business and management kinda job.Sometimes it becomes so frustating at wrk place that i feel to quit at that moment only.but than i agree that if we can't tackle these situations how can we think of an MBA as an MBA must possess the skills to tackle and manage these tough situations.

At my wrk place i have to wrk for long hours and my satrdays r also wrking.I am quite skeptical about my prep with such hard wrking hrs.I have taken prep course and have a schedule for myself but as of now i m lagging behind by schedule.

I will be writing gmat on 15th july'09 and my diagnostic test was worst than ever.

I am studying on a regular basis though,almost 2hrs in morning and 1 to 1 n half hrs in evening, if possible.

My job is obviously not secure in such mkt conditions and most of my day is spent at offis.after 2.5 yrs i m not getting a gud pay at all.

All these things frustates a lot but my priority is GMAT.

l bilieve a gud manager must know how to deal with tough situations and still become successful.!!!

waiting for ur comments!!!
I'm not sure what your hours are like but I guess I'll tell you what I try to do. Hopefully you're not working much more than 12-13 a day ... otherwise studying becomes a lot harder. I think with 12 a day with 30 minute commute on each end makes studying already hard enough.

First, if you have an IPHONE - you MUST get the GMAT express App and the Veritas prep.

The reason to have an iphone is that during the day - there are tiny breaks. Bathroom breaks, lunch breaks, coffee breaks. These are breaks for you to run through some problems or go through some concepts.

If your company has a sabbatical program, maybe take advantage of that.

If you're doing two hours in the morning and an hour at night - i think that's really solid already and you should be proud of yourself. Try to fit in practice exams on the weekend on a sunday morning or Sunday afternoon if you attend church.

by vibhorsinghal » Wed May 13, 2009 8:21 am
thanx...this is uselful advice
Vibhor

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Wed May 20, 2009 6:16 pm
glad to help -
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep