GMAT Prep numbers

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by samirpandeyit62 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:40 am
the Q asks us to divide p by m and get the remainder r

you quoted an e.g, where p=6, m=4 this is ok so according to the Q it is 6/4 and remainder will be 2

Now you divided and removed the common factor from this fraction & made in 3/2 where the remainder is 1

now mathemetically this is correct but in Q it changes the remainder, the reason is 6/4 = 3/2 = 1.5

in 6/4, when u divide any nos by 4 its remainder can be 0-3, here numerator is 6 which is 4+2(half of 4) so remainder is 2 i.e half of 4

in 3/2, similarly numerator is 3 which is 2+1(half of 2) so remainder is 1 i.e half of 2 again

so basically in this fraction we can say that the Numerator is denominator + half of denominator, So as we increase the Numerator/denominator value. the value of half of denominator will also increase i.e. the remainder will increase an vice versa(you did this)

So to sum up In context of the Q we need to divide the value of p by m and list the remainder without any processing on p or m as it will change the remainder.
Regards
Samir

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Jameschan168 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:45 am
Can someone please walk me through stmt 2 also? I know it's insufficient intuitively but I would like to see how to prove it out mathematically.
samirpandeyit62 wrote:the Q asks us to divide p by m and get the remainder r

you quoted an e.g, where p=6, m=4 this is ok so according to the Q it is 6/4 and remainder will be 2

Now you divided and removed the common factor from this fraction & made in 3/2 where the remainder is 1

now mathemetically this is correct but in Q it changes the remainder, the reason is 6/4 = 3/2 = 1.5

in 6/4, when u divide any nos by 4 its remainder can be 0-3, here numerator is 6 which is 4+2(half of 4) so remainder is 2 i.e half of 4

in 3/2, similarly numerator is 3 which is 2+1(half of 2) so remainder is 1 i.e half of 2 again

so basically in this fraction we can say that the Numerator is denominator + half of denominator, So as we increase the Numerator/denominator value. the value of half of denominator will also increase i.e. the remainder will increase an vice versa(you did this)

So to sum up In context of the Q we need to divide the value of p by m and list the remainder without any processing on p or m as it will change the remainder.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by samirpandeyit62 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:15 am
second stmt says that LCM of the nos p, m is 30

now 30 = 3 X 5 X 2

so the nos must have 3 ,5 ,2 as their factors taken together

(but any of these may me repeated also)

so we take nos like 3= m, 10 =p here itself remainder is = 1

no we take nos 10 & 15 then remainder is 5 > 1

so INSUFF
Regards
Samir