GMAT - Need for coaching and good coaching centres in Mumbai

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
HI,

I wanted to take a quick poll and gt some feedback on tutoring in GMAT. I know the real studs dont need them But for some one like me who was an average student and is neck deep in work, i think its best to take help. Any differing opinions?

I have heard of 2 major players in Mumbai IMS and Jamboree both charge around 29k and give a host of services.. or atlease claim to do so

Jamboree
- Small batch size 3-7 ppl
- no admission counselling in this package
- 66 hours of classroom training
- Unlimited doubt solving sessions
-lots of prep material & mock tests
-ONE centre in Mumbai (andheri)

IMS
-CAT hangover; not sure if thats good or bad!
-relatively big batch size 20-25 ppl
-70 hours of classroom training
- application and admission counselling
-multiple centres in mumbai

I would be very thankful if you guys gave feedback on both of these. Personal experiences in the mumbai center would be the best help!

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:28 pm
Hey Dhaval,
I have attempted the GMAT and am also from Mumbai. I too had taken classes and let me give you some thoughts on the same.

IMS : Avoid!! I might sound harsh, but they do not focus on the GMAT. One of my friends had taken it and he adviced sternly as to not to take those classes. They offered a combination(CAT+GMAT) package. There were times when the prof meant for teaching GMAT was not even present for the classes and some students who were retaking the GMAT conducted them.

Jamboree : Well not much idea, but of what I could gather,its a decent enough class. Quite flexible. Not sure about the profs there though.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:17 pm
In my opinion, avoid enrolling in Indian institutes. My intention is not to sound harsh and be blatantly offensive. Normally Indian institutes do not teach verbal properly although they are good with quants. I have had the bad experience with one of the indian institutes and I realized my mistake after shelling out so much money.

Consider enrolling in an online prep like Knewton, Veritas (if location becomes a problem).. There are much more prep companies that offer online prep. Research properly and decide on a prep. There are plenty of info in BTG that can help you decide. Read the reviews of prep companies in BTG.

Good Luck! and don't take a hasty decision. This is very crucial to your GMAT Prep. So, take your time.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by DhavalR » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:55 am
Thank you guys!

@Karan - Thanks for the warning. IMS's heavy involvement in CAT is a cause of worry for me. Jambooree came up as a alternative that i could consider. Did you or any of your friends have had a positive experience for any training institute? Word of mouth is the best research ;)

@Papgust - Thanks for the advice. appreciate it. My intention is to have a methodical approach to my GMAT prep and a classwork steup seemed more favourable to me. Slightly old school, i believe i need to sit in a class and learn the fundamentals, also regular monitoring. Managing work is tough as it is, not sure if i'll be proactive in the e learning setup.

Any suggestions? :? :?

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:07 pm
@Dhaval,

I am sure that you'll not be embarassed by the online classroom setup. If you doubt whether it fits you, just enroll for a free online trial class in knewton or any other prep company and see how you feel.
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:39 pm
I do agree with papgust...

I myself joined a class for GMAT, and though it helped in the initial part to get the basics of the test, once that limit was reached I was all on my own. It was like a driving class here in Mumbai, you go and drive everyday for a month and once one month is over and you get a licence, they forget. Then you are all by yourself and your car, you ll face some accidents and then learn. Most of these classes will teach you for some 60-70 hours or 2 months or so. If you commit to study well in that time frame and give the GMAT almost immediately after that time period, go ahead and join a class.

I myself studied with careerforum,mumbai. The above thing was my experience.As far as I know, this is the state of all the private classes in mumbai.

Followed by:27 members

by MBACrystalBall » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:10 am
Some of the international online GMAT prep courses featured on the BTG site might also be worth considering. It'll be better than signing up for something that you are unsure about as the quality of the course can vary drastically depending on location, professors etc.

If you are interested, I could share some more thoughts offline.
Watch these MBA videos

Sameer Kamat, Founder - MBA Crystal Ball | Careerizma
Email: info at mbacrystalball dot com

Must read for MBA aspirants
1. Beyond The MBA Hype | 2. Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild

by Rezinka » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 am
Hey..

I see people here do not like Indian centres. Well, I studied at Jamboree, Delhi but could not continue due to constraints of time but as far as I am concerned, the classes were very helpful. The teachers for both quant and verbal had logical approach towards questions and it was great.

Have no experience regarding the rest so will not talk about them..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by forbidden » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:03 am
how does anyone rate csquare learnings if someone has ny idea bt it

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:85 members
GMAT Score:750

by tpr-becky » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:27 pm
I don't know anything about these test centers but have you considered online classes - The PRinceton Review has a new Liveonline format that might help you and I am sure other centers have online classes as well.

Best of Luck.
Becky
Master GMAT Instructor
The Princeton Review
Irvine, CA