Gmat Low score. What to do ?

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Gmat Low score. What to do ?

by perseverance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 am
Hi All,

Yesterday I gave my GMAT and got a low score. Score which i had never got in any of my practice tests and also a score which does not allow me to apply even to the average school I was aiming.( schools with average/minimum 600)

During the test I faced a software problem. I had 10 minutes short of time to complete the quantitative section and got very tensed throughout the test , esp. during the initial few questions.

I have some concerns which I want to discuss with you:

1) I have 3 years of Work exp. with an Indian IT folk's resume. I had to quit my job as I was getting married n would come to US. I always wanted to pursue an MBA degree so I wanted to get into a decent school next year. But after I ended up with a low score, now am worried as to how I can proceed with MBA and GMAT. does b-schools require applicants to be on job at the time of admissions? Or is the work experience just a requirement as mentioned on their websites? Ideally how many months can I stay way from a job before applying to Bschools that would not affect my admission process.

2) I understand after getting a low score that I will have to get a max score next time in the GMAT, if i have to be considered for admissions. I am feeling very low and disappointed as this exam has been the worst so far and looks like the impact is also going to hit back on me. I was optimistic to get a score between 580-600 as during practice tests i was doing well in the quants and not so well in the verbal, considering my preparations for this test. What Can I do to improve my score? the deadlines for 2011 admissions are very close and am confused as to what to do. considering am out of job now and considering I get a good score for 2012 admissions, is it ok to try for 2012 admissions.

3) Do I have a chance to pursue my dream of doing an MBA..

Thanks for all your words in advance.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by crackverbal » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 pm
perseverance wrote:
1) I have 3 years of Work exp. with an Indian IT folk's resume. I had to quit my job as I was getting married n would come to US. I always wanted to pursue an MBA degree so I wanted to get into a decent school next year. But after I ended up with a low score, now am worried as to how I can proceed with MBA and GMAT. does b-schools require applicants to be on job at the time of admissions? Or is the work experience just a requirement as mentioned on their websites? Ideally how many months can I stay way from a job before applying to Bschools that would not affect my admission process.
Sorry to sound so foreboding but not having a job while applying to a bschool doesn't augur too well for you. The last thing you want the AdComs to think is - this guy is applying because he doesn't have a job (read as "nothing better to do"). However if you can justify your stay away from the workworld AND show how you constructively utilized the time it might help tilt the battle in your favor. A wee bit atleast.
perseverance wrote: 2) I understand after getting a low score that I will have to get a max score next time in the GMAT, if i have to be considered for admissions. I am feeling very low and disappointed as this exam has been the worst so far and looks like the impact is also going to hit back on me. I was optimistic to get a score between 580-600 as during practice tests i was doing well in the quants and not so well in the verbal, considering my preparations for this test. What Can I do to improve my score? the deadlines for 2011 admissions are very close and am confused as to what to do. considering am out of job now and considering I get a good score for 2012 admissions, is it ok to try for 2012 admissions.
Multiple questions here.
a. Did you take the GMATPrep test? Else how do you know you were doing well?
b. What have you done so far? How long was your prep?
c. Which schools do you intend to apply and what are their deadlines?

I think you need to introspect well on your GMAT prep before deciding on the next course of action. Also looking at your post I reckon you might have had education in a vernacular medium. Start with a basic grammar book and this https://www.bartleby.com/141/

perseverance wrote: 3) Do I have a chance to pursue my dream of doing an MBA..
Like the quote from the movie "In pursuit of happyness"
"Don't ever let somebody tell you...you can't do something. You got a dream..you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves..they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want something go get it".

Arun
Join Free 4 part MBA Through GMAT Video Training Series here -
https://gmat.crackverbal.com/mba-throug ... video-2018

Enroll for our GMAT Trial Course here -
https://gmatonline.crackverbal.com/

For more info on GMAT and MBA, follow us on @AskCrackVerbal

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by perseverance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:45 pm
crackverbal wrote:
perseverance wrote:
Sorry to sound so foreboding but not having a job while applying to a bschool doesn't augur too well for you. The last thing you want the AdComs to think is - this guy is applying because he doesn't have a job (read as "nothing better to do"). However if you can justify your stay away from the workworld AND show how you constructively utilized the time it might help tilt the battle in your favor. A wee bit atleast.
perseverance wrote: 2) I understand after getting a low score that I will have to get a max score next time in the GMAT, if i have to be considered for admissions. I am feeling very low and disappointed as this exam has been the worst so far and looks like the impact is also going to hit back on me. I was optimistic to get a score between 580-600 as during practice tests i was doing well in the quants and not so well in the verbal, considering my preparations for this test. What Can I do to improve my score? the deadlines for 2011 admissions are very close and am confused as to what to do. considering am out of job now and considering I get a good score for 2012 admissions, is it ok to try for 2012 admissions.
Multiple questions here.
a. Did you take the GMATPrep test? Else how do you know you were doing well?
b. What have you done so far? How long was your prep?
c. Which schools do you intend to apply and what are their deadlines?

I think you need to introspect well on your GMAT prep before deciding on the next course of action. Also looking at your post I reckon you might have had education in a vernacular medium. Start with a basic grammar book and this https://www.bartleby.com/141/

perseverance wrote: 3) Do I have a chance to pursue my dream of doing an MBA..
Like the quote from the movie "In pursuit of happyness"
"Don't ever let somebody tell you...you can't do something. You got a dream..you gotta protect it. People can't do something themselves..they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want something go get it".

Arun
Thanks Arun for ur reply.
The technical problem I faced during the first 10 minutes of the test impacted my performance very much.

I would like to improve my score the next time I give my test. Can you plz suggest me any material.
I did work on the GMAT prep Cd. On the first test I got a 580 and on the second test I got a 620.
I prepared for 2 months. I used OG and Princeton materials for preparations.
The admissions deadlines for the universities I want to apply are by Feb 1st.