GMAT kicked me

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT kicked me

by rojans » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:23 pm
Devastating GMAT experience 580(Q-45, V-25)

I took GMAT after my first heart break, when I attempted first time I scored 500(Q-42,V-17) my lowest score ever I got. After that I studied for another 2 months (10-15) hour per days. I have already left my job to ace the GMAT. Then I scheduled GMAT on 9 Feb., but I was cancelled due to some issues at the center and I rescheduled my GMAT again on 22 Feb. At Delhi.

My mock scores

Before first GMAT

GMAT prep-1 (start) 520(Q-45, V-20)
GMAT prep-1 repeat 530(Q-45, V-21)
GMAT prep -1 repeat 650(Q-47, V-30)
Manhattan -1 580(Q-38, V-32) I left with out attempt around 14 question in quant section and V. was untimed.
Manhattan -2, 620 (Q-43, V-32) again untimed
Manhattan -3, 620(Q-48, V-28) Timed
Manhattan-4 580(Q-40, V-31) Timed
Manhattan -5 650 (Q-44, V-35) few repeats in S.C. section (2-3)
Manhattan-6 , 660 (Q-46,V-34)
Then before the actual GMAT I tool GMAT prep-2
GMAT prep-2, 560 (Q-42, V-25) I Gave half heartedly mean I stop several times and back and could not concentrate on Exam.

GMAT 500(Q-42,V-17)
After I decided to retake the GMAT

I started American scientific for R.C.(science),network times ,WSJ for comprehension .
Manhattan quant (word translation, fraction) and went on Manhattan forums and GMAT club.
Then I gave Veristas diagnostic and got 650 (Q-47 only 7 wrong, V-37only 11 wrong)
That boosted my moral.
GMAT prep-2 repeat 620(Q-46, V-29)
GMAT prep-2 (3rd time) 680(Q-49, V-33)
GMAT prep-2 again 740(Q-49, V-42) almost 20 Q were repeated
Manhattan-1repeat 700(Q-44, V-40) few were repeats
GMAT prep 1 650(Q-47, V-31) in quant few repeats
GMAT prep -1 again 640(Q-48, V-28) I lost momentum in verbal I did 2-3 mistake in first 18 question and then I annoyed by the noise, because I was giving test in my uncle office.
GMAT-2 cancelled
Then again GMAT prep-1 3 rd time 700(Q-49, V-35)7-8 repeats in V. section
GMAT prep -1, 4 th time 760 (Q-49, V-44) V-22 repeats.
GMAT- 580(Q-45, V-25)
I started well in Quant they give me straight 4-5 tough coordinate problems in middle of the exam. I finished the section on time. I rarely had tough time in Quant section in my prep. Then I took break and drink red bull. Then I started Verbal part. First few were S.C. and C.R.6th question was R.C. I managed to deal with (I got 100% accuracy in last few GMAT prep even in fresh R.C.). My 18th problem was Boldface a tough C.R.I took more than 3 min. then solves few more questions then I got 3rd R.C. AT that time I realized that I was falling behind time and started guessing and trying to solve more quickly. Finished on time with more Guesses .Then saw suicidal 580
.I was totally shocked .I did my best and gave my 100%.and saw that kind of result. I just back on study. Don't know what to do this kind of score.

I have just bought Manhattan Number properties book from Delhi don't know from where I should start and should I leave the idea of GMAT or find a job. And which mocks I should buy. I am thinking to buy 800 score .com mocks in$39

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:21 pm
DELETED
Last edited by vineeshp on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:10 members

by Night reader » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:46 pm
@vineeshp, I think the guy has over-studied. That's what happened to me previous time ...

the results of standardized tests like GMAT depend on psychological factors too

I see no reason why this man cannot retake his GMAT say in 30-35 days with less theory study and more systematic approach towards his practice tests.

Look at some fragments what he wrote:
I started well in Quant they give me straight 4-5 tough coordinate problems in middle of the exam. I finished the section on time. I rarely had tough time in Quant section in my prep.
there's a confidence expressed about the test questions being tough - i mean how we know this? What if the test-takers' pool has changed since the last month and many tough questions from January are no longer tough questions at all ... it's the job of CAT to determine the difficulty level and sort out the questions for test-takers

Then I took break and drink red bull. Then I started Verbal part. First few were S.C. and C.R.6th question was R.C. I managed to deal with (I got 100% accuracy in last few GMAT prep even in fresh R.C.).
Also sounds very familiar to me, as I experienced the same OVER-MYSELF in last exam - 100% accuracy on practice tests means nothing if the strategy of answering test questions remained the same ...
I was totally shocked .I did my best and gave my 100%.and saw that kind of result. I just back on study. Don't know what to do this kind of score.
The confidence expressed about 100% utilization of the test-taker's abilities, BUT then a question is raised
don't know from where I should start and should I leave the idea of GMAT or find a job. And which mocks I should buy. I am thinking to buy 800 score .com mocks in$39
I mean if some one says there's 100% surety something happened what's the reason to continue. On the other hand, the man could be errant on assessing his abilities and the utilization rate - so it wasn't 100%, ah? there's still more than one big room(s) to develop and further increase GMAT score

@rojans - I believe it's not the matter we prepare and test our knowledge. I perceive this as the matter of making absolutely responsible decisions in exam - likewise you make decisions with your family, friends and people around. Please register for exam and take it again with different strategy - don't count on killing every rabbit with half-shoot

I am saying all these things - because I was living through the same story last month
My knowledge frontiers came to evolve the GMATPill's methods - the credited study means to boost the Verbal competence. I really like their videos, especially for RC, CR and SC. You do check their study methods at https://www.gmatpill.com

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members

by maihuna » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:50 am
Who has given you the authority to speak like an authority. From name you seems like an Indian, vineesh, had you been an american it might have looked fancier, but if indeed you are an indian, it is too idiotic to put things in double standard perspective. Your paltry 700 would look similar to those who are in 790's, will they come pouncing on you that your preparation is erratic, why you want a 760 bla bla...

Don't put discouraging stuff to people who want to put their best foot forward. I am a firm believer the talent to score and actual score is just like what velocity is to distance. Do not confuse velocity with capacity to cover distance. Time is a crucial factor. Do never look like Rajnikant of southee cinema, stop this idiotic discouragement. Take a hard look on your preparation and performance first before commenting on others. yours 700 is not sea apart to a 580. if u caN THINK OF A 760 EVERY OTHER CREATURE CAN TO IMPROVE HIS OWN.

vineeshp wrote:Your performance is inconsistent and preparation is erratic.

Maybe you should take a long and hard look at yourself.

Ask yourself one question: If you try again, what is the realistic best score you are looking at?

With that score in mind, see if there are schools which will accept you with your profile. And even if they accept you, what is your realistic scope of finding a post MBA job.

All these questions are important to answer.

While GMAT is easier than many exams, it is still tough and it is very tricky. Add to this the fact that it is a non stop 4 hours test, and you will know the actual pressure GMAT creates. My point is that attempt over attempt is not going to help you.

Don't buy any tests now. First analyze your previous performances. Take those free tests available.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:750

by fitzgerald23 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:04 am
A few things from looking at what you did and trying to read between the lines a bit.

I think the score you received is probably the proper score. Your first attempt saw you with a 500 and an 80 point increase is pretty good. From the looks of your study method it seems like you are overrelying on practice exams to measure your progress, but with so many repeat questions or untimed attempts from your start period to your finish it was probably giving you a false sense of confidence if you were aiming for a high 600 type score.

Your math is already a strong point. You scored a 45 with minimal prep work (I believe you said you just bought 2 Manhattan books). My guess is you can probably get into the 47-49 range with some work. Start with that number properties book and work from there. But the place to get your biggest gains is going to be verbal. Again you showed big improvement, but there is still major room to improve. I dont believe that your prep work you did for Verbal was going to prepare you that well.

I know many people talk about reading articles from the WSJ, NYT, etc...to boost your skills, but in my mind that only works if you are really focusing on what you are supposed to comprehend from those articles. Maybe it helps you get used to reading but unless you have a way to measure your understanding of the article they are not going to give you a major boost.

There are guides that can help you with some things, such as those from Manhattan, but I also notice that you did not mention the OG in your post. If your verbal is below a 35 that is probably the best practice material you can get your hands on. Its better than wasting your time with practice exams. It will give you a better opportunity to understand how to answer the questions and what you are doing wrong when you get them incorrect. I would run through that whole guide before wasting money on other question banks or practice exams. If your scores are improving you can probably go back and reuse your Manhattan exams. You should get questions right that you had been getting wrong and that will give you questions you probably have not seen before.

If you can take another 4-6 weeks off Im sure you can get everything down and get whatever your target score is, but try to map out a study plan that is not focused on practice exam scoring, but instead focused on learning content.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by rojans » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:10 am
I did all O.G. guide such as O.G. -10,11,12
verbal and quant O.G. supplement
kaplan 800 and quant book
and do GMAT club and Beat the GMAT

I gave indian C.A.T. and my quant in up to the mark.if i work in coordinates and P.&C. and in probability.I can raised bar at 50
i have take GMAT club test and 3-4 times get 27-28 correct in quant .In each GMAT prep mock i get the same correct question.I got only 650 in GMAT prep mocks ,but i got 11-13 wrong each time in verbal.
I have done LSAT R.C. with 72-75% accuracy and R.C. 99 with good accuracy in medium ,but in tough i got 60-70% accuracy

i Did Manhattan S.C. 10-12 times.Powerscore C.R. bible .I did good reading in books.I don't think i got problem in R.C. ,C.R. or S.C. if i have good time.I may be mismanaged time and give time to monster to fed up my Exam.i did C.R. from LSAT test and i download S.C. document ,which have 186 GMAT prep s.c. and got 80-90% accuracy.i don't bother in O.G. R.C. part ...i even get good accuracy in GMAT prep R.C....I solved R.C. from R.C. 99 by Aristotle ,which has lengthier R.C. than actual GMAT R.C.

Believe me I had put my total concentration in this Exam.U guys talk about 200-300 hours to take GMAT.I put my 15-16 hours every day since the day first.I left my job to do well in GMAT.And since then i have put more than 4000 hours in this prep.I have read a single line wrote by high scorer and i implemented in my prep.
I repeatedly get 49 in quant(with 7-10) wrong in mocks.
i got boldface on 18th question ,which i assume that u can get if u start well do 2-3 wrong .I got the same in GMAT prep which i gave 6-7 months ago.and then in that mock too i mismanaged time and finished with guesses.
i solved O.G. -12 last questions after 100 and got 5 wrong.
i apply kaplan strategy in R.C. to make short notes and this work for me..

thanks every one to giving me u r precious moments.I will definitely give GMAT again,but this time to completely destroy it

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members

by maihuna » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:54 am
Discussed with Vineesh about the not so plesant replies in this thread from him as well as mine. We both agreed our intent were right but probably were not economical with written content. I do feel bad writing terse language to VIneesh. Hope to shut the case here for one and all.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by mohit11 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:06 am
Don't lose hope. I bet you can improve. The suggestions by Night Reader are sound. You can get some additional pointers from my debrief (Link below). Good luck.
Founder of Consulting Network: https://consultingnetwork.co.in - A portal for consultants

Facebook Page for Consulting Network: https://www.facebook.com/globalconsultingnetwork

My Blog: https://outspoken-mind.blocked

730 Debrief: https://www.beatthegmat.com/730-q49-v41- ... 80010.html