GMAT. Hearbreaking experience, need your help to overcome!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I have been contemplating this post quite for quite a few days now, however post my pathetic GMAT experience was very circumspect to do the same.
To say the least I have been very inspired by the various posts of all GMAT slayers and didn't really want my first and possibly the most crucial post to be a long dreadful read and a damp squib. But then again, on second thought this is surely the only place which can help me change my fortune.

To provide with a brief back ground, I work as Manager Marketing and Branding with a FMCG Co., and hence awry work hours due to various new product launches. Although, last April I decided to my long cherished dream of getting an executive MBA from a premier global B' School a genuine shot and hence enrolled with the a Princeton certified GMAT tutorial (run by Manya group in India). However to my utter dismay the instructors were only reading out from the slides and this was of no use, for someone like me who is very weak in Quant and verbal is about getting enough practice.
Meanwhile, due to some professional commitment had to miss couple of classes, and from then on the Manya guys, could never get me enrolled in any other batch and left me on my own without any counseling.

Hence post this experience, at the behest of a friend I took a month long leave without pay from work and started working with OG 12/13 and NOVA GMAT Bible, the latter was again a tad too complicated for my understanding. So, finally as a last resort fell back on www.mastergmat.com as well as GMAC videos for immediate help, however with another month to go it was clearly a case of too little, too less. So, yet again took a desperate step and postponed the GMAT appointment by another three weeks in a last breath attempt to just be in time for admission to the next session.

And cometh D'Day in spite of all the running around, I managed to score a paltry and morale crushing 520.
Yet, it is not the over yet and I will face GMAT again, next January for sure.

Have figured out few things though, as mentioned below -
"¢ Consistency is the key (Little but regular)
"¢ Have to focus, fewer resources, study sources but proven resources (Time and money wise)
"¢ For Math need a programme that suits me, so no point of joining a batch and
"¢ Not going to do anything with the Princeton (Manya) classes, they will only swindle me out of my wits!
"¢ Different approach for Verbal and Quant. One which suits my strength.

Need your patient read and help to make sure that my next post is one, which inspires others like me based in some nook or corner of the world, but who share the same goal.

Thanks "Beat the Gmat" and Eric in advance, you guys have helped me stay positive and refocus again.

Regards,
Digbijoy

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:55 am
Keep your head up, there are plenty of people who have come back from this...
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review

by Digbijoy44 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:16 am
Thanks a ton Jim!

But honestly at this moment; I am a bit clueless. As in where to start :(

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:680

by sam2304 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:46 pm
Use the GMATPrep tests you have taken.
Analyze the tests for strong and weak areas.
Read through strategy guides
Supplement it with OG problems
Review each and every problem effectively.
Take notes, prepare flash cards.
Take a mock, see if you have improved.
Make alterations in preparation strategy based on the recent mock test results.
Improve the same manner till you achieve your target score.

For quant, check MGMAT strategy guides
For verbal, MGMAT SC, MGMAT CR and powerscore CR - if you have trouble identifying the question types, RC - Veritas RC or Thursdays with Ron videos. As you are a non native speaker, start off with thursdays with ron's videos - you can see much improvement in short time. Hope this helps !!
Getting defeated is just a temporary notion, giving it up is what makes it permanent.
https://gmatandbeyond.blogspot.in/

by afarouk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 am
Hey, how long did you use Master GMAT ?