GMAT CLUB TESTS NEW CAT[VERBAL] accuracy with REAL GMAT EXAM

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi, I am a foreign student from Asia struggling with Verbal scores. I would like to ask about a question regarding Verbal Questions for GMAT Club Tests. As everybody knows, 6 practice Verbal CAT problem sets are provided.

After taking 5 of the 6, I felt that these CAT problems are very close to the REAL GMAT CAT exams, since most of GMAT Club's questions seems to be created though manipulating past questions and past real exam questions. But RC seems to be more difficult than GMAT PREP tests.

Compared to MGMAT and Kaplan GMAT, GMAT Club's questions were TOUGH... and moreover, its score estimations seems to be very STRICT.. which gives me real good indication of real GMAT exam result. I got V30 (25 of 41 answers right, 16 answers wrong..) on this GMAT Club Test. I know the score is a shame, but it was actually my best score I could get in my current strength, since I really concentrated on it. :oops:

Even though I previously attained fair scores through MGMAT (around 670, Q 48 to 49 and V35 to 37) and GMAT Prep (around 700, Q 50 and V around 33 to 36) for past one to two months, my actual EXAM three month ago were devastating (570, Q 49 but V20.. in my latest one). :(

The problem was that I have remembered mostly all of the Verbal answers for these practice tests, giving me useless indication on practice tests.. So now I must look for benchmark that indicates REAL STRENGTH, using source other than MGMAT or GMAT Prep....

So, I would like to ask one question; Does the GMAT Club Test [Verbal] score express REAL STRENGTH? or will it be a LITTLE TOO HARSH compared to the real EXAM? Well, I don't even want to imagine that it is too EASY...But if it is, I would really like to know.

My current target score is around 680(Q49, V32-33). I am planning to take GMAT EXAM next week, but if the GMAT Club Test really indicates REAL STRENGTH, I might postpone the schedule... I would like to ask for the one who experienced these practice exams....Thank you so much for your attention. I will await for your reply.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:15 pm
Hi astori17,

When you took your practice CATs, did you take the entire CAT every time (including Essay and IR)?

When comparing your real GMAT to your practice CATs, what was different? The little details matter, so think about everything that occurred.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by astori17 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38 pm
For the past exams for both GMAT PREP and MGMAT, I tried with both QUANTS and VERBAL without Essay and IR. Worse, I tried them 5 to 10 times and checked answers already in the past so they may be useless to see as an indicator sine I have remembered one third of the total questions shown.

For the GMAT Club Test, I did only the VERBAL. The test was the first time, so I did not know any answer to the questions.

I also tried Economist free GMAT CAT EXAM last week, and the score was 650(Q50,V31) for the first try. For this one, I tried both QUANTS and VERBAL without Essay and IR (Actually there was no Essay and IR).

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 pm
Hi astori17,

To improve, you're going to have to consider 2 aspects of your training:

1) How do you perform on each of the Verbal question types?

2) How is your performance when you become tired (meaning how well do you perform at the end of the exam, which is when the Verbal section begins)?

That second point is important to consider since many people don't properly practice and then don't improve in that area. When you take your next CAT, make sure to take the ENTIRE test. It's the only way to properly gauge your ability and improvement. If the score isn't to your liking, then you'll probably need to delay your exam.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]