GMAT and inner game

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

GMAT and inner game

by yogami » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:45 pm
Living in the moment is something I strive for on a daily basis and something I have to struggle to achieve. Being outcome dependent, putting too much weight on a good score/good school/great career, being obsessed about it and living in the future is something I totally want to avoid. At the same time thinking about the past failures and "what ifs" is also counterproductive to me.
Its been two weeks into this - before which, like few of us, I had been struggling to find a well defined career goal. I have had my ups and downs in this course of preparing for GMAT. There were times when I felt so positive while taking the tests that I aced both sections in a practice test. And there was this time that I was having a bad day which affected my performance so much that I felt like I needed to go to a monastery instead of a B-school. What is the secret of being in the moment and not let external things affect you? I know that I have a strong analytical side but at the same time my creative side has exposed my emotional persona too. On a standardized test like GMAT it is important to treat the test as it is and not delve too much on CRs and RCs (trying to emotionally relate to the author's viewpoint), trying to not think about the last math question I might have screwed up, and in general not think about the past and future.
I have to ask you guys something honestly. Is it really possible to know what you want in life 100%? Is it possible to plan your career so tight that you exactly know what you want in five years?
I apologize for ranting into this introspection but I had to put it out there at this odd hour when I had a dismal performance today in verbal.
Time to grab a beer and listen to some pink floyd!!
200 or 800. It don't matter no more.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Re: GMAT and inner game

by ssmiles08 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:52 pm
yogami wrote:At the same time thinking about the past failures and "what ifs" is also counterproductive to me.
Its been two weeks into this - before which, like few of us, I had been struggling to find a well defined career goal.
yah...welcome to my world :roll: I am at present trying to transition a career change.

even though IMO i am still pretty young...i feel this immense pressure on my back as though if I don't catch up with the rest of the world soon, I will be forever left behind.

I definitely don't know what I want 5 years down the road, but all I want is to be in a happier and more satisfied place than I am right now. (that's how I want to feel when I look back 5 years from now at least)

I also for some odd reason hold on to this string of hope that everything will work itself out in the end as it always does :)