glad that is over... 740

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

glad that is over... 740

by randomguy » Wed May 21, 2008 7:43 am
Hi all,
First, just want to thank Eric and all those that contribute to this site - a great resource.

gmatted this morning: 740 (44Q 48V)
Really suprised as most of my practice tests had significantly higher Q score than verbal (and no verbal score nearly that high) - during the test really felt like i knew everything in verbal and was concentrating really well

I am really happy with my score (higher than any practice)... but does anyone have any insight/experience with applying to top programs with this realitvely low Q score?? (my print out says 72%!!.... but V is 99% and combined i am in 97%)... still really suprised it was lower than my V (and suprised my V was so high) and for some reason don't feel it reflects my Q abilities that well... do schools typically look at the main number only or break down to look for discrepency?

anyway, I'll take it just can't wait to get the AWA score to make sure everything is OK...

thanks in advance for opinions and experience!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by dferm » Wed May 21, 2008 8:44 am
Can you provide us with a debrief of exam?

Thanks.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by MeddlingKid » Wed May 21, 2008 2:41 pm
Congratulations! I'm hoping to find similar information, as my GMAT score today was nearly identical:

Q44 - 72 percentile
V47 - 99 percentile
740 - 97 percentile

Like you, I was scoring between 48-49 on my recent quant tests. My verbal scores were ranging between 46-50 the last few weeks. My quant performance today was certainly a surprise.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by mbadrew » Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 am
Randomguy,

I've done some research on school requirements. Most of the top 10 schools want the quant score to be > 80%. I can tell you that Haas at Berkeley wants the score to be > 80%, but they'll make exceptions if you have a B or better in college algebra and stats. By the way I think you'll get into a top 10 school with this score. 730 kicks ass!

thanks
Drew

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by randomguy » Tue May 27, 2008 11:58 am
thanks for the responses....

and here is a quick debrief:
actually felt I wasn't prepared enough for the AWA - we'll see how it went, but maybe added a little more stress than needed

Quant: sure I made some silly mistakes and got a little flustered if a problem took too long - just stopped calculating and guessed a few because of this - prob. not the best choice b/c I'm sure I could have figured them out very soon... but from my practice tests I learned that I really wanted to be diligent about the timing and make sure I was not rushed at the end.... def. don't feel that I really performed up to my potential in Q, and would be really interested to see what I got wrong

Verbal: really felt solid - was very concentrated in RC and CR and felt like I could analyze all SC pretty quickly - don't know what more to say about that....

my prep really favored Q and (suprisingly) my strength was clearly Q through almost all of my practice tests... I stuck mainly to OG... I bought the other 2 OG books, but basically didn't have time to open them... only practice tests (besides GMATPrep) was 1 Manhattan GMAT (did terribly because i really messed up the timing)... had an older version of the Kaplan book that i read mostly for strategy, but didn't really do many problems, although I did some of the CD problems (not the practice tests)
for me the top priority was getting the timing down and brushing up on math
I started studying about 6 weeks out from the test, but had a lot of other things go on (work, travel, etc..) during the process.... I was pretty diligent the last 2 of weeks

as stated above my cocern now is that my Q score seems low and I don't feel it reflects my ability... but I'm very happy with the overall score. If I took it again I feel there is some risk that I could come out below my current score if something doesn't go quite as well for Verbal...

So, any more opinions on top program admission with a 72% Q and 99% V with a 740????

Thanks!!