Getting Discouraged

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Getting Discouraged

by Cinnia » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:41 pm
I've been studying for the math part of the GMAT using the Kaplan GMAT Math Workbook since it's been probably over 12 years since I've touched basic math (geometry mostly). I'm near the end of the book and doing alright, I suppose, but decided to go through a practice exam for just the quantitative portion. It was a disaster. I'm not sure if I just panicked but there were a lot of problems that I couldn't remember how to solve or they don't look familiar at all. I'm feeling a bit discouraged, and I have no idea what to do now. Any suggestions?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by IWillSurvive » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:59 am
Hi Cinnia,

I know for a fact that I am not the most qualified person to answer this post.

However, I can relate to you 100%. This test is not really a content exam. It does not test whether you know the formulas or the harder parts of the quant. It merely asks the test taker to utilize the simple formulas (ex: R*T=D) and apply them to difficult questions. It's a test of reasoning.

That being said, I would try some different books. MGMAT has a great geometry book. I also like their entire set of guides. The biggest problem for me is timing. Can you solve these questions in a block of 25-30 in two minutes each? The interesting part is that some of them will be a snap - no worries. Other questions will take time. What are you having trouble with? If it is geometry, which is my main problem, then try to narrow it down. My biggest issue? Determining how to solve for various elements of a figure within a figure (i.e., a circle within a rectangle).

One piece of advice I have gotten on this forum, from my own tutor, and from everyone is this: Calm down. Don't let a ridiculous test determiine your future. This will be my third attempt at this test, and I am not going to let it get me down any further. I may not be a master of the GMAT, as is the case with many on here, but I definitely will not let it ruin my spirit!

Good luck to you. I am sure you will be just fine!

-A

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 pm
Hi Cinnia,

To further IWillSurvive's comment above, remember that your GMAT score is self-reported on your application, so admissions teams will focus on your highest score. If you do end up taking the test and doing worse than you had expected, you can always take the test again. Relax, continue to study hard, and I am sure you will exceed you own expectations.

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Cinnia » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 pm
IWillSurvive wrote:Hi Cinnia,

I know for a fact that I am not the most qualified person to answer this post.

However, I can relate to you 100%. This test is not really a content exam. It does not test whether you know the formulas or the harder parts of the quant. It merely asks the test taker to utilize the simple formulas (ex: R*T=D) and apply them to difficult questions. It's a test of reasoning.

That being said, I would try some different books. MGMAT has a great geometry book. I also like their entire set of guides. The biggest problem for me is timing. Can you solve these questions in a block of 25-30 in two minutes each? The interesting part is that some of them will be a snap - no worries. Other questions will take time. What are you having trouble with? If it is geometry, which is my main problem, then try to narrow it down. My biggest issue? Determining how to solve for various elements of a figure within a figure (i.e., a circle within a rectangle).

One piece of advice I have gotten on this forum, from my own tutor, and from everyone is this: Calm down. Don't let a ridiculous test determiine your future. This will be my third attempt at this test, and I am not going to let it get me down any further. I may not be a master of the GMAT, as is the case with many on here, but I definitely will not let it ruin my spirit!

Good luck to you. I am sure you will be just fine!

-A
Thank you for your encouragement.

I suppose my general weakness is using these formulas I'm learning and applying to them with harder problems. I hate word problems with a passion. For example, I've been working on a problem dealing with probability and couldn't come up with the right answer, and when I look up the answer, the "formula" they use isn't the same formula that I would use in that problem: P(E or F) = P(E) + P(F) - P(E and F). That seems to happen often.

I just purchased the set of MGMAT books in the hopes that I can strengthen my quant. Timing is another problem. I am slow solving these problems but half the time I am completely puzzled on how to even start.

I know I'm probably giving myself more stress knowing that starting from June of next year, they'll be adding the Integrated Reasoning portion.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:06 am
Hi Cinnia,

First of all don't feel discouraged at this moment as you have a long way ahead. This could have happened because you were out of touch with the mathematics from last 12 years and you can't expect so much from yourself in the very first practice paper. Take a break and go back to your core preparations, find out your weakness by attempting some solved queries as it will help you in finding your glitches. You will need to solve some online questions and keep track of the time taken for each question. Once you are ready with your preparation then you may go for practice test.

Hope this may work for you � For further assistance let us know.