Get a raise of 10 points on the Gmat in week?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Get a raise of 10 points on the Gmat in week?

by Sunill » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:07 am
Hello guys,
Is it possible increase the score by 10 points in a week. I am getting 590 constantly last 3 times in Gmatprep. and I don't know if I can make a 600 in a week. Has anyone done so before.

thanks for any suggestions
Sunil

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:45 am
Sunill wrote:Hello guys,
Is it possible increase the score by 10 points in a week. I am getting 590 constantly last 3 times in Gmatprep. and I don't know if I can make a 600 in a week. Has anyone done so before.

Sunil
Easily. There are probably multiple things you could do in a week, each of which would increase your score. You could increase it by way more than ten points if you play it right.

Of course the question becomes this. What are those things?

Maybe you can improve accuracy on quant. Don't have to learn any new concepts for that; just figure out what kinds of errors in calculations, if any, you are prone to making, and get better at staying on track.

Maybe you can get a little clearer regarding the application of some key rules in CR or SC.

If you are having timing issues, an improved guessing and moving on strategy could get you ten more points.

Maybe using a good question bank, doing dozens of arithmetic type problems, and seeing how efficient you can get at doing them would drive your quant score up some.

Also, even a slight change in confidence, attitude or some other aspect of psychology could move your score ten points higher.

So there are ways to do this. Just have to find some and use them.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:15 am
Hi Sunill,

From a statistical standpoint, you might not have to do anything differently to pick up those extra 10 points. GMAC has openly stated that your Official Score on the GMAT is within +-30 points of actual ability, so if you're scoring a 590 right now, you could actually be scoring 620 (of course, you might actually only be scoring 560, so you can't afford to get complacent).

When trying to figure out the categories in which you can pick up missing points, start by reviewing your CATs and focusing on ANY question that you got wrong because of a silly/little mistake. If a question is "gettable", and you get it wrong for a silly reason, then that's your fault and it's something that you have to fix as soon as possible. At this level, I would bet that there are plenty of questions that you could have gotten correct but didn't. Focus on proper note-taking, doing work on the pad, etc. and you'd be amazed how quickly you can get back those lost points.

Are you taking your Official GMAT next week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:13 members

by manyaabroadtpr » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:53 pm
Sunill wrote:Hello guys,

Sunil
Hi Sunil,

One weeks time is sufficient enough to pull up your score from 590 to 600, however you will have to plan a strategy and need to stick to that religiously.I would advice you to start giving as many practice tests as possible.If you spend 2 hours in giving the test, spend 4 hours in analysing the same.Go back to your solutions and try to find out better,faster and smarter ways to solve those problems.

If you keep practicing this way, it will really help you to bring your scores up considerably.

Hope this helps.Let me know if you would have any further queries regarding your gmat preparation.Wish you the best.
www.manyagroup.com