General Math Questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

General Math Questions

by mdecarbo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:03 pm
Hi all,

Quick question -

Prime numbers - are negative numbers considered Prime (-2, -3, etc.)? Does that make any sense?

Also, I'm in the thick of my identifying weaknesses and practicing those weaknesses part of my prep. Two areas I continue to find difficulty in:
1. Word Problems which involve assigning variables - i stumble over those questions when I see them even though I completely understand how to arrive at an answer. These are questions I believe I should be answering correctly. Any suggestions on how to strengthen this area? I've reviewed the GMAT Prep Now modules over again and did all the GMAT Quant 2nd Edition questions on Word Problems thus far.

2. Data Sufficiency, especially involving arithmetic questions. I find that I either make careless mistakes (i.e. not take in all the rules / limits from question stem (x is positive, x is integer etc.) or I find it difficult to definitely conclude that an equation or question arrives at just one answer. Any suggestions for strengthening DS?

Thanks everyone!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by srcc25anu » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:14 pm
NEGATIVE NUMBERS ARE NOT PRIME NUMBERS.

First prime number is 2.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:780

by misterholmes » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:38 am
I think you're asking why negative numbers are not prime...? At the most unsatisfying and superficial level, the answer lies in the definition: it's a prime number if it's an integer, and if it has exactly two factors. So following the definition, -2 is not prime because it has four factors.

From an historical point of view, I can't tell you why people began to look at breaking up numbers into their factors, but, once they did, it added no new info to consider the negative numbers. If you succeeded in finding the factors of 30, then you knew at once the factors of -30. So essentially nothing was lost by ignoring negatives.

Today factoring techniques are used in cryptography. Think about that next time you test for divisibility by 7.

misterholmes
www.gmatdojo.com
Mindfulness, Concentration, Insight

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:266 members
GMAT Score:770

by Jim@StratusPrep » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:59 am
Yes, negatives are not primes.

As for the other stuff... it sounds like practice is your answer. If you understand the stuff but are not performing well, you need to dive deep into the problems you are getting wrong and see what types of mistakes you are making. Are there patterns?
GMAT Answers provides a world class adaptive learning platform.
-- Push button course navigation to simplify planning
-- Daily assignments to fit your exam timeline
-- Organized review that is tailored based on your abiility
-- 1,000s of unique GMAT questions
-- 100s of handwritten 'digital flip books' for OG questions
-- 100% Free Trial and less than $20 per month after.
-- Free GMAT Quantitative Review