Gave GMAT today Nov 7th 2009. Scored 540(Q 47, V19)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi All,
I gave my GMAT exam today and was totally dissapointed. Having said that, I kind of anticipated this bad score.
I scored 540 (Q 47, V19).

I gave few practice test in the last 2-3 weeks .

GMAT Prep 1; 3 weeks ago --680
GMAT Prep 2; 3 weeks ago --590

MGMAT 1 ; 2 week --570
MGMAT 2 ; 2 week --590
MGMAT 3 ; 2 week --630
MGMAT 4 ; 2 week --620

GMAT Prep 2; 1 weeks ago --500
GMAT Prep 1; 1 weeks ago --590

As you can see from my above score , I am just a 600 guy. Yes thats true.. Merely a 600 guy.
But in my actual GMAT exam today, I scored just 540.

In all my practice test, for Quant , I scored an average of 47. thats exactly what I got in final GMAT.
I have been very weak in Verbal. Gmat Prep predicted my avg verbal score to be 22 and MGMAT prep said 30. Finally I scored 19.

So all in all, Gmat Prep is a good indicator of Quant & Verbal....

To all the people taking the GMAT exam, believe me... GMAT Prep is the only best indicator of your actual score.

Offlate I was reading through forum saying, Quant has become extremely tough n all. These are all just myths and not true. The difficulty level of Quant is same as OG12. To my knowledge and observation, nothing has changed.

Coming down to verbal, I woudn't say Verbal was tough but I guess I am not good at verbal. Now I am exploring new avenues for Verbal. I would like to review Manhattan SC, Powerscore RC and then re-appear for GMAT. Can some one suggest apart from the above 2 verbal books, what else do I need study?
What is the path to success for high verbal score? Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

by casey259 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:42 am
Right now you are taking a bird's eye approach to this. You need a street level view, take a look at every section of both Quant and Verbal and see what areas you are lacking.

I had the same problem, but I looked and saw I was lacking in word problems so went back improved that and my Quant went up. Same thing with Verbal, I did terrible in sentences because we live in the 21st century where MS Word does it for you, so I studied that hard and my Verbal went up. One piece at a time. Good luck. Just remember it's just a test the sun will come up tomorrow, even though the GMAC may tell you otherwise.

by rehmaninn » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:41 pm
Thanks dude for u r reply....
Yes u may be right in saying I am having a Birds view... But How do I quantify street view?

During exam, I could hardly understand SC. Felt bouncers... Same with RC...

I feel, thers something seriously wrong with my Verbal basics...
I need to correct my study methodology...

Need of an hour is "learning to study" rather than "learning tricks n trade"...
I seriously need to get good grasp of fundamentals... wher can i do this? what material do I refer??

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by prepforgmat » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:39 am
hi! rehmaninn,
i'm in a similar situation. my mock test results(Q 39, V 25).
So, i'm going back to mgmat books, and studying carefully each section chapter by chapter and solving problems. i'm sure this is going to help increase score in the particular sections- just like casey259 said. i started studying this way last week and i'm feeling more confident in those chapters that i studied again. hope this helps a little bit.