Gall's hypothesis

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Gall's hypothesis

by Mo2men » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:48 pm
Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.
(A) of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(D) which is that there are different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(E) which is widely accepted today is that there are different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain

What is difference between choice B & C???
[/u]

Legendary Member
Followed by:140 members
GMAT Score:800

by MartyMurray » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:13 pm
Consider the meaning conveyed by B. The version created using B conveys that Gall's hypothesis is a hypothesis of different mental functions. I am not sure what a hypothesis of different mental functions is. Is it a hypothesis that belongs to different mental functions? Is it a hypothesis that is related to different mental functions? Is it a hypothesis that explains different mental functions?

In looking at all of the answer choices, one gets the impression that the purpose of the sentence is to convey that Gall's hypothesis is that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain and that that hypothesis is widely accepted today.

The version created using C correctly and clearly conveys that Gall's hypothesis is a hypothesis that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the the brain.
Marty Murray
Perfect Scoring Tutor With Over a Decade of Experience
MartyMurrayCoaching.com
Contact me at [email protected] for a free consultation.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:54 pm
Mo2men wrote:Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today.
(A) of there being different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(B) of different mental functions that are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(C) that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(D) which is that there are different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain is widely accepted today
(E) which is widely accepted today is that there are different mental functions localized in different parts of the brain

What is difference between choice B & C???
[/u]
I received a PM requesting that I comment.

B: Gall's hypothesis of different mental functions
Conveyed meaning:
Gall hypothesizes the EXISTENCE of different mental functions.
Not the intended meaning.
Since it is common knowledge that the brain is capable of different mental functions, there is no reason for Gall to GUESS that different mental functions exist.

C: Gail's hypothesis that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain.
Here, Gall hypothesizes WHAT HE BELIEVES TO BE TRUE about different mental functions:
that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain.
This meaning is sensical.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by manik11 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:07 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Conveyed meaning:
Since it is common knowledge that the brain is capable of different mental functions, there is no reason for Gall to GUESS that different mental functions exist.

C: Gail's hypothesis that different mental functions are localized in different parts of the brain.
Here, Gall hypothesizes WHAT HE BELIEVES TO BE TRUE about different mental functions:
Hi Mitch,
Though I got this right,I'm not sure how do I eliminate option A
Is it that the 'being' makes it awkward?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:34 am
manik11 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Conveyed meaning:

Hi Mitch,
Though I got this right,I'm not sure how do I eliminate option A
Is it that the 'being' makes it awkward?
Yes, the usage of there being is awkward and should be avoided.

More importantly -- like answer choice B -- answer choice A does not convey a logical meaning.
A: Gall's hypothesis of there being different mental functions
Conveyed meaning:
Eliminate A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3