Fully underlined sentences... strategy?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Fully underlined sentences... strategy?

by revoltangel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:42 am
I noticed that I almost always get wrong the questions that ask you to correct the full sentence. I am not sure how I can improve.

It's especially hard to analyze the answer choices when they all seem to be worded differently. Reading each choice fully and deciding the best one overwhelms me too much.

Any advice? :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

Re: Fully underlined sentences... strategy?

by iamcste » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:29 am
revoltangel wrote:I noticed that I almost always get wrong the questions that ask you to correct the full sentence. I am not sure how I can improve.

It's especially hard to analyze the answer choices when they all seem to be worded differently. Reading each choice fully and deciding the best one overwhelms me too much.

Any advice? :)
Techniques:
1. Just read the complete statement, spot the differences, categorize the difference as split and apply the rules.

2. Some times "feel" factor helps in spotting the error-but this method is never full proof.

3. Break them intelligently and work in parts

4. Remove all info separated in commas and other non essential info supported by "which" and sometimes "who"

Pls feel free to develop your skills with any of the above mentioned methods

Infact, hit ratio for these questions is quite high as you know entire sentence is wrong. In other case, you have to always fit the potential answer and read the complete sentence again ( kind of additonal efforts)
Sometimes a short sentence with difference of few pronouns and article can do your "game"

Tip: Longer sentences look for modification errors, passive construction, pronoun reference.