From 550 to 660

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

From 550 to 660

by PIPMANG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:33 pm
Hi Folks,

While a 660 hardly constitutes 'beating the GMAT', it represented quite a jump for me and - most importantly - got me into business school. I'm still waiting on one school but I'm already admitted at and will likely be attending UC Davis in the fall.

I started my GMAT journey in the Fall of 2009. I had recently been laid-off from a large consulting firm where I worked in finance & accounting. I took a 10 week Princeton Review course to prepare for the test. I realize in retrospect that the class taught me all the basics which in turn yielded a very basic, average score. I had some serious math deficiencies and scored 35 V, 30 Q.

I didn't dwell on the score since I started a new position that required my full attention. However, 6 months later I was laid-off again (crappy California economy) and this time decided to pursue an MBA education.

My application package looked something like this:

Double-major at UC Irvine
3.56 cumulative GPA
3-years consulting work experience
550 GMAT, 49% percentile

I only applied to two schools and got to the interview phase at both. I was then rejected from the Merage School of Business (UC Irvine) and moved into the second round of admissions at the UC Davis Graduate School of Management.

I was told by both programs that I could retake the GMAT to strengthen my candidacy. While I certainly wasn't looking forward to the prospect of retaking the test, I realized that my 550 wouldn't get me to where I wanted to go. I decided to retake the test but not prepare the same way I had originally. I felt that the Princeton Review group class focused too much on teaching the material in their book. The attention wasn't really individualized and I certainly needed it to shore up my math skills. This time around, I decided to hire a tutor for one-one-one math work and guidance.

I purchased 9 hours and met once a week. I did all my verbal studying out of class. My study material included the PR book and OG 12. I explained to my tutor that I never really got a firm grip on math going all the way back to middle school and this is what was really hurting me. He recommended I also study Math Smart, by the Princeton Review. I found this book very helpful in terms of covering all the basics GMAT expects you to know. It filled in a lot of blanks and helped me get a grip on basic math concepts.

I studied diligently for 10 weeks and my math skills improved objectively. However, on the Princeton Review CAT's, my verbal score kept decreasing. At the time, this worried me because I was banking on verbal boosting my overall score. I realize now that the PR CAT verbal section is not an accurate indicator of actual GMAT performance. My scores on all my CAT's look like this:

CAT 1 PR: 43 V, 28 Q 590 Total
CAT 2 PR: 33 V, 31 Q 540 Total
CAT 3 PR: 31 V, 37 Q 570 Total
CAT 4 GMATPrep 40 V, 40 Q 650 Total
CAT 5 GMATPrep 40 V, 38 Q 640 Total
CAT 6 PR: 30 V, 36 Q 550 Total
CAT 7 PR: 39 V, 39 Q 640 Total

My final CAT was a Princeton Review test and everything seemed to come together for me. My math had improved and the verbal was where it should have been. I went into the test hoping to at least break 600. Anything above and I would have been thrilled.

The test went well, although a few quantitative questions tricked me up. I knew verbal was going well as the questions were becoming very convoluted, but I felt like I was consistently able to pick right answers from wrong ones.

I finished the test, answered the demographic questions, then got to the gut-check "two minutes to score my test or not page". I was super nervous but never considered canceling the test. Up popped 42 V 95%, 38 Q 50% and 660 82%! I was on cloud nine walking out of the testing center. I called my tutor and immediately gave him the blow by blow. I had achieved my goal of getting to the 50th percentile in quant and still couldn't believe that I hit 95th percentile in verbal. The 660 exceeded all of my practice tests and I felt so relieved that all the hard work had actually paid off.

I think what really helped me was studying much more intensively from the OG than the previous time I took the test. I did every single question in the book twice and reviewed the harder ones with my tutor. My tutor was also great in providing a framework for my studying. He set the lesson and tone and I bought in 100% with my effort and work.

I realized that a good score is within ones grasp even without ridiculous math skills!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:55 pm
660 does mount to beating the GMAT. IT is a great improvement!

Congrats. I really hope you can now go and get the admit you desire. All the very best.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:730

by rohu27 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:20 pm
any score you are satisfied wth deserves I beat the gmat :)
so congratulations on tht note and good luck with your studies.