From 460->2 Months-> 620 !! Finally I did it !!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi Guys,

Wrote GMAT Today, got 620(Q49,V27). My expected score was 650. I know for many, its not a very good score. But I am happy because I have seen my first score which was 460(Q37,V16) in October. The very next day i wrote GMAT, I joined BTG 60 day study plan and registered for GMAT verbal and Quant questions. I regularly visited BTG and used to post my concerns and problems here.

I must say BTG ROCKS !!!!!!!!!! I love you guys....A big Thanks to Eric for starting this wonderful forum..

Special thanks to karanrulz4ever, greentealeaf, humblebee, Random Wok and joannabanana for providing me moral
support in moments of despair.

Now I am waiting for my AWA scores. B-)

Overview of the paper :

1) I reached the center half and hour before and I had to wait for another half an hour because of some technical fault from Pearson.

2) Started the test, AWA section was cool ( It has always been cool for me,as I have always been a passionate writer, written various Play Scripts, Debates and Declamations at School,College level and in my Company) B-)

3) Took a break after the Quant section and when i returned back, i had already exceeded the break time by 32 secs.
I got tensed and cursed myself for wasting 32 precious seconds.. :( Anyway, The GMAC surprised me with their first
question about a PARABOLIC CURVE. I didn't see any such question while practicing on any of the practice tests or
OG's. Anyway, I can't say I did that right or wrong. But I just kept calm and didnt loose my patience. I was average at Quant , So i expected to score around 40- 44.

4) This time I was so afraid to take a break that I started the Verbal Section as soon as I finished Quant. Verbal opened
with a SC question. I noticed a pattern, 2 SC's then a CR Question then 2 SC's and then a RC. Strange!! :-|By the time i reached on Q 27, I got restless. I wanted to end the suspense as soon as possible. Somehow, I tried to
keep myself calm and composed. I got 4 RC's Three small + 1 Big one with 5 questions! CR's were more on the lines of OG's. Two of the CR questions (Drivers with Radar high speed limit and Increased Driving speed were direct from OG 12 with only weaken in place of strengthen or Assumption in case of Conclusion. I expected to get around 32-34 in Verbal.

Finally, When the moment came to Report/Cancel Stores, I was petrified by my previous experience of 460!!

I clicked the button and was surprised to see 620 !! Q49, V27!! verbal was a :( but Quant!!!! :D Wooo Hooo !!!! :shock: :D

Piece of Advice- If you are on a GMAT trip, expect the unexpected and be ready for a bumpy but a joyous ride !! :D

Going to start the application procedures from tomorrow. Got my New Year Gift !!! B-)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:17 pm
Wow...a 160 point jump...indeed impressive....

Good luck for the apps!!! Do keep us posted!!!