Flight - Need clarification

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

Flight - Need clarification

by Tryingmybest » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:07 pm
The OA is A

Can someone please clear my question .If we go according to the OA , the meaning would be " An action in Future is responsible for an action in the past"

How is the OA Justified ..Need your help Please!!

The number of people flying first class on domestic flights rose sharply in 1990 , doubling the increase of the previous year.
doubling the increase of
doubling that of the increase in
double as much as the increase of
twice as many as the increase in
twice as many as the increase of[/u]
Attachments
flight.doc
(61 KiB) Downloaded 223 times
Last edited by Tryingmybest on Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:27 pm
i chose C, wondering why that would be wrong.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by neoac » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 pm
in my view ans should be "d"

twice as many as the increase in the previous year is modifying verb "rise"

Please put ur comment

by Tryingmybest » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:40 am
IMO D

Number of People is clearly addressed by "many".

GMAT Score:610

by Jatinder » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:52 am
Couple of ppoints here:

We need doubling here, not twice

as twice is an adverb, and we have to modify "the number", which requires adjective

So A, B or C

The participle "doubling" modifies the subject of the preceding clause "the number"

But i choose B to maintain the parallelism in 1990:in the previous year

Just wondering how A is correct?

Ron, Can you please comment?
Keep flying

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:680

by rohangupta83 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:18 am
Jatinder wrote:Couple of ppoints here:

as twice is an adverb, and we have to modify "the number", which requires adjective

So A, B or C

The participle "doubling" modifies the subject of the preceding clause "the number"

But i choose B to maintain the parallelism in 1990:in the previous year

Just wondering how A is correct?

Note:
In the question below ''twice'' is being used as an adjective.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/minority-pop ... ight=twice

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:11 pm
Jatinder wrote:Couple of ppoints here:

i will reiterate my advice from a previous post: do not concentrate excessively on labeling constructions as parts of speech (or other linguistic terms). instead, just learn which types of constructions are allowed and which aren't, and select sentences that are constructed along the lines of the former.

in this case, you can't use "..., twice as many as...", because that's an appositive modifier. appositives must modify some noun that comes IMMEDIATELY before the comma, which in this case would have to be whatever figure is twice whatever other figure. since that figure isn't given, you can't use this construction.

ust wondering how A is correct?

because the increase itself was doubled.
the "that of" is a PRONOUN. it would have to stand for a noun that would actually make sense in context - and there's nothing "of" the increase. therefore, "that of" is wrong.
Last edited by lunarpower on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:4 members

by vittalgmat » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:34 pm
By POE I landed on A. Here are my thoughts.

"twice as many" is clearly wrong here coz we are modifying the "increase", which is not countable. So 'many' is out!!
The others have obvious errors and clumsy constructions.

HT helps

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm
lunarpower wrote:[

The participle "doubling" modifies the subject of the preceding clause "the number" .
Ron, could you please clarify this rule ?

Subject+........................, participle

Thanks,
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:34 am
logitech wrote:
lunarpower wrote:[

The participle "doubling" modifies the subject of the preceding clause "the number" .
Ron, could you please clarify this rule ?

Subject+........................, participle

Thanks,
ha, no, that was just stupid editing. those words were part of the quote from a poster above me. they weren't mine. (incidentally, if you've read enough of my posts, you'd know they weren't mine, because i don't type capital letters.)

-ing modifiers that follow commas should be taken to modify the action of the preceding clause. they can be attributed to the subject of that clause, but it's best to consider them as adverbial modifiers.
more to the point, though, is the following fact:
-ing modifiers that follow commas don't modify the immediately adjoining noun.
Last edited by lunarpower on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by annakool1009 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:28 am
lunarpower wrote: in this case, you can't use "..., twice as many as...", because that's an appositive modifier. appositives must modify some noun that comes IMMEDIATELY before the comma, which in this case would have to be whatever figure is twice whatever other figure. since that figure isn't given, you can't use this construction.

Heres as OG explanation: in which "twice" is used to modify a number not stated in the sentence.

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has
(B) twice as many apples as it did
(C) as much as twice the apples it has
(D) two times as many apples as there were
(E) a doubling of the apples that it did

Answer to Question 168 ( Numbers )
Choice B, the best answer, correctly uses the adverbial phrase twice as many... to modify the verb produces; properly employs many rather than much to describe a quantity made up of countable units (apples); and appropriately substitutes did for the understood produced to express the logically necessary past tense of produces. Choice A awkwardly substitutes the adjective double for twice; uses that without a clear referent; and misuses has to refer to events occurring in 1910. Choice C employs the incorrect much in a wordy construction and also misuses has. D is wordy and imprecise;... as there were in 1910 refers to all apples produced in 1910, regardless of location. E is illogical: since that refers to a doubling, E nonsensically asserts that the doubling occurred in 1910.

The more I do numbers/quantity modifiers the more i get confused !
Gearing up for the D-day.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:41 pm
annakool1009 wrote:
lunarpower wrote: in this case, you can't use "..., twice as many as...", because that's an appositive modifier. appositives must modify some noun that comes IMMEDIATELY before the comma, which in this case would have to be whatever figure is twice whatever other figure. since that figure isn't given, you can't use this construction.

Heres as OG explanation: in which "twice" is used to modify a number not stated in the sentence.

Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has
(B) twice as many apples as it did
(C) as much as twice the apples it has
(D) two times as many apples as there were
(E) a doubling of the apples that it did

Answer to Question 168 ( Numbers )
Choice B, the best answer, correctly uses the adverbial phrase twice as many... to modify the verb produces; properly employs many rather than much to describe a quantity made up of countable units (apples); and appropriately substitutes did for the understood produced to express the logically necessary past tense of produces. Choice A awkwardly substitutes the adjective double for twice; uses that without a clear referent; and misuses has to refer to events occurring in 1910. Choice C employs the incorrect much in a wordy construction and also misuses has. D is wordy and imprecise;... as there were in 1910 refers to all apples produced in 1910, regardless of location. E is illogical: since that refers to a doubling, E nonsensically asserts that the doubling occurred in 1910.

The more I do numbers/quantity modifiers the more i get confused !
first, note that this example has nothing at all to do with my text that you quoted above; i was stating facts about how to use appositive modifiers after commas. that was not meant as any sort of statement about when to use, or not to use, "twice as...".

second, "twice as many of X" doesn't need a direct noun; this is a self-sufficient expression meaning twice the previous quantity.
in fact, "as many..." is, technically, a NOUN PHRASE, so you in fact do have a noun here. it just doesn't look like one.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by goelmohit2002 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:25 am
lunarpower wrote:in this case, you can't use "..., twice as many as...", because that's an appositive modifier. appositives must modify some noun that comes IMMEDIATELY before the comma, which in this case would have to be whatever figure is twice whatever other figure. since that figure isn't given, you can't use this construction.
Thanks Ron.

I think the same problem must be there with option C also....i.e. "double....".....is also acting as appositive....so wrong....

Kindly confirm.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor

by lunarpower » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:19 pm
goelmohit2002 wrote:I think the same problem must be there with option C also....i.e. "double....".....is also acting as appositive....so wrong....

Kindly confirm.
hmm

i think that it's considered somewhat substandard to use "double" in the way in which it's used in choice (c); it's better to write "twice".
in other words, i wouldn't ever write something like "double the amount" or "double as much", even though most dictionaries recognize this as valid usage. instead, i would write "twice the amount" or "twice as much".

regarding your question, yes, this is an improperly used appositive modifier. if you're going to use comma + "twice as much as...", then it should follow an actual statistic that is twice as much as some other actual statistic.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by tanviet » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:30 am
"comma doing" modify both subject and verb of previous clause and must be placed logically in the sentence.

in general grammar this participal is called adverbial but its place make it refer to subject and we think it is adjectival.

adverbial or adjectival is not a matter. Just remember the fist sentence.