Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:470

First MGMAT!

by gmatplayer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:02 pm
I took my first MGMAT and got following
Q 48
V 29
Total 610

I must thank to MGMAT for creating good resource. Questions were in good level of difficulty close to OG.
Not too much disappointment, but sure would be good if close to 650.

Quant - I am not worried about. I probably can increase 1-2 point possibly if I get few more DS right.

V - There is some scope of improvement. Following is detail

RC CR SC
Right 5 9 7
Total 12 14 15

My study situation is: I finished Verbal OG and Quant main OG. Verbal main OG: still getting started. And probably simultaneously I am going to do Manhattan SC. Good thing about this exam is I was just in time and had to guess only 2-3 in V. Which I think is significant improvement since I have started to practice all V questions in time limit. I started with 2-3 times more than actual exam per question then slowly reduced to actual time.

As you can see I have scored less in RC. But I have developed strategy to finish reading in about 2 min for any length of passage. I guess that has affected some accuracy but the method is good so I am going to keep doing that & emphasize more on Questions.

Although I felt good throughout V section, score was low. So I need suggestions to get to 700+

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by mayonnai5e » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:43 am
With a verbal score in the high 20s, I suggest you go back and study the fundamentals - the question types, the error types, the strategies for answering the questions - and redoing easy questions. If you can't get almost near 100% on the easy questions, you'll probably have a hard time on mediums and if that's the case, you'll rarely see any hard verbal on the cat exam.

You said you finished the main OG verbal already. What were your hit rates on each section? If you break them down into sections of 50, you can estimate the difficulty level since it's ordered by difficulty. Find out your hit rate on the first 50 RC then second 50 RC for example. That should give you an idea of how well you're doing based on difficulty. Keep in mind, I'm talking about timed practice also - if your work was done untimed, the hit rate is not an accurate figure. Just about anyone can get ~100% hit rate if given all the time in the world.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-blog-erro ... t4899.html
550 =\ ...560 =\... 650 =) ...570 =( ...540 =*( ...680 =P ... 670 =T ...=T... 650 =T ...700 =) ..690 =) ...710 =D ...GMAT 720 DING!! ;D

Learn more about me