Fee

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:650

Fee

by theCodeToGMAT » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:35 am
According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those that charge over $16,000.

A. as those that charge
B. as a charge
C. as to charge
D. as charge
E. as those charging
R A H U L

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by sanjoy18 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:38 am
correct answer D

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:29 am
Hi All,

In this SC, we need to follow parallelism rules to get the correct answer.

The phrase "as many......" must be followed (eventually) by "as"; this appears in all 5 answer choices, so it's not much help. However, the first "as" is partnered with "charge" ("as many institutions.....charge....") so the second "as" needs it too.

The only answer that follows this pattern is D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:41 pm
atulmangal wrote:According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year than those that charge over $16,000.
A. than those that charge
B. than are charging
C. than to charge
D. as charge
E. as those charging
In A, B and C, than is incorrect. The correct idiom is as many X as Y. Eliminate A, B and C.

In E, more than three times as many charge ....as those charging is not a parallel comparison. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.

Note the following:
As serves to compare ACTIONS. In E, charging is not a verb but an ADJECTIVE. As cannot serve to compare a verb (charge) to an adjective (charging). For E to compare actions, it would have to employ ellipsis to imply the following:

...more than three times as many...institutions...CHARGE under $8,000...as those charging over $16,000 CHARGE.

The implied meaning above creates an error of redundancy (charging and charge).

The ellipsis in D is better because it compares two ACTIONS without an error of redundancy:

...more than three times as many...institutions...CHARGE under $8,000...as CHARGE over $16,000.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by vinay1983 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:44 pm
theCodeToGMAT wrote:According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those that charge over $16,000.

A. as those that charge
B. as a charge
C. as to charge
D. as charge
E. as those charging
You might have got this correct. I have doubt though. If the idiom is As many x as y, then "as many independent institutions(X) as (charge)Y" ? How can this be possible?after "as" we need something to refer to "institutions". How can "charge" be correct here. "As many" takes "X" as close as possible to "X" (in this case institutions) not charge, which is far away from X!
You can, for example never foretell what any one man will do, but you can say with precision what an average number will be up to!

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:52 am
vinay1983 wrote:
theCodeToGMAT wrote:According to a 1996 survey by the National Association of College and University Business Officers, more than three times as many independent institutions of higher education charge tuition and fees of under $8,000 a year as those that charge over $16,000.

A. as those that charge
B. as a charge
C. as to charge
D. as charge
E. as those charging
You might have got this correct. I have doubt though. If the idiom is As many x as y, then "as many independent institutions(X) as (charge)Y" ? How can this be possible?after "as" we need something to refer to "institutions". How can "charge" be correct here. "As many" takes "X" as close as possible to "X" (in this case institutions) not charge, which is far away from X!
One use of as is to compare VERBS.
Mary wrote as many spy novels as romance novels.
Implied comparison:
Mary wrote as many spy novels as {she WROTE| romance novels.
The verb in brackets is omitted, but its presence is understood.
Note the following:
Even though as precedes spy novels, it does NOT serve to compare the nouns (one type of novel to another).
Rather, it serves to compare ACTIONS: how Mary WROTE spy novels to how she WROTE romance novels.

To simplify matters in the SC above, let's omit more than three times.
The basic meaning conveyed by the OA:
Of the institutions surveyed, as many CHARGE under $8000 a year as CHARGE over $16,000 [a year].
Here, as serves to compare what some institutions do (they CHARGE under $8000 a year) to what other institutions do (they CHARGE over $16,000 a year).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jp78 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:01 pm
Hi GMATGuruNY,

In line with ellipsis , can we say that

more than three times as many institutions.... charge under $800 as institutions.... charge over $16,000.

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:41 am
jp78 wrote:Hi GMATGuruNY,

In line with ellipsis , can we say that

more than three times as many institutions.... charge under $800 as institutions.... charge over $16,000.
Yes.
Both clauses refer to the same subject:
independent institutions of higher education.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Jacob003 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:19 am
Hello, I have a solution for your problem. Different MBA programs have different fee structure depending on country to country. It might be not wrong if I say that you should join a MBA tuition. Hope this will help you
https://www.sibm.edu.in/regularmbafeestructure