Federal Communications

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

Federal Communications

by Dean Jones » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:37 am
Hi Friends,

I am having difficulty in solving the following problem. Need help.

The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls,the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, though some consumer groups disagree with the government's estimates, suggesting they are too optimistic.

(A) The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls,the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs

(B) The government predicts that costs will be greatly reduced for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls by the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts

(C) The government's prediction is, for consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls,costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts made by the Federal Communications Commission

(D) For consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the government's prediction that the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs

(E) For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications Commission has made will greatly reduce costs

OA after some discussions.

Legendary Member
Followed by:3 members

by clock60 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:09 pm
seems like A

Followed by:1 members

by sanabk » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:28 pm

by Rezinka » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:57 pm
I am confused between A and E.
Chose A because it is more concise.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:28 pm
Dean Jones wrote:Hi Friends,

I am having difficulty in solving the following problem. Need help.

The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls,the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs, though some consumer groups disagree with the government's estimates, suggesting they are too optimistic.

(A) The government predicts that, for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls,the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs

(B) The government predicts that costs will be greatly reduced for consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls by the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts

(C) The government's prediction is, for consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls,costs will be greatly reduced by the recent telephone rate cuts made by the Federal Communications Commission

(D) For consumers and businesses that make a large number of long-distance calls, the government's prediction that the Federal Communications Commission's recent telephone rate cuts will greatly reduce costs

(E) For consumers and businesses making a large number of long-distance calls, the government predicts that the recent telephone rate cuts that the Federal Communications Commission has made will greatly reduce costs

OA after some discussions.
In B, that make calls...by the rate cuts makes no sense. Eliminate B.

In C, the government's prediction...is costs makes no sense. The pronoun that is needed: the government's prediction...is that costs will be greatly reduced. Eliminate C.

In D, the subject (the prediction) lacks a verb. Eliminate D.

In E, for consumers and businesses should be placed closer to will greatly reduce costs. A modifier should be as close as possible to what it's modifying. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members
GMAT Score:700

by bubbliiiiiiii » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:56 pm
Can someone please elaborate why B is wrong?
Regards,

Pranay

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members

by aspirant2011 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:39 am
bubbliiiiiiii wrote:Can someone please elaborate why B is wrong?
B is wrong because "costs will be greatly reduced" should have been near to "by Federal commission's rate cuts"[/b]