far Vs much

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

far Vs much

by varchar » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:08 pm
Although many art patrons can readily differentiate a good debenture from an undesirable one, they are much less expert in distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art and fakes.
(A) much less expert in distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art and
(B) far less expert in distinguishing good paintings from poor ones, authentic art from
(C) much less expert when it comes to distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art from
(D) far less expert in distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art and
(E) far less the expert when it comes to distinguishing between good painting, poor ones, authentic art, and

When should use much and far ? Experts pls. help.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Giorgio » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:23 pm
Distnguish Between X and Y is the correct idiom

So E is the correct answer

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sunil_snath » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 am
I go for B.

far sounds better, i cant provide a valid explaination :( and will wait for someone else to comment.

I ruled out E because you distinguish between 2 things, not a list of things IMO.

OA please?

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:710

by gmatmachoman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:41 am
sunil_snath wrote:I go for B.

far sounds better, i cant provide a valid explaination :( and will wait for someone else to comment.

I ruled out E because you distinguish between 2 things, not a list of things IMO.

OA please?
IMO B

Couple of things to be noted:
1.Distinguish X from Y

2." far less" is idiomatic than "much less"

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:11 am
Although many art patrons can readily differentiate a good debenture from an undesirable one, they are much less expert in distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art and fakes.
(A) much less expert in distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art and (No from or between, straightaway out for inappropriate idiom)
(B) far less expert in distinguishing good paintings from poor ones, authentic art from - Hold
(C) much less expert when it comes to distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art from (Sentence makes no sense+no idiom)
(D) far less expert in distinguishing good paintings and poor ones, authentic art and (No from or between, straightaway out for inappropriate idiom)
(E) far less the expert when it comes to distinguishing between good painting, poor ones, authentic art, and use "between" only for 2 objects, "among" for more....I won't investigate this option any further for idiom or for the use of "the expert" after "they"

I Choose B
When should we use much and far
IMHO, both are interchangeable and right when far is used as an adverb to compare!!

The police say the response has been far better/ much better than expected

by dmitriyaleyev » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:47 am
I would go with B, although sentence sounds incomplete without "and" between good paintings from poor ones, AND(???) authentic art from fakes

Can someone please explain why it is fine to omit AND... or whether this is the right answer at all:)

by chaya009 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:05 pm
You can refer to Komal's list of idioms where distinguish between and distinguish from is explained.