Facing problem with Verbal section - help needed :(

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Hi all

For me its 20 days before the d-day. And i have started to give CAT every alternate day

My usual score range has been - 660 (~45q (Satisfactory), ~35v(worried))

In quant section i have seen improvement and more confident about the section. (I think i will be able to maintain my score above 45, i have started to practice HARD questions, so there shoud be some improvement for sure

VERBAL - my score is revolving around 35 (sometime i screw up badly in SC section and sometime its below average for all the sections). I am not sure where i am going wrong.....whats the solution ??

- Do i need to do the basics again (Manhattan SC notes - but what about CR and RC - how to do basics here)
- Do i need to take a break for 1-2 days (with 20 days to go, can i afford this luxury)
- Should i start doing the OG again (which i plan to in the last week)

Guys, i would really appreciate some help here. I am looking at a minimum score of 700 (otherwise no applicantions for me)

SM
- 580 (PR-1), 680(PR-2), 550 (Kaplan), 640 (Cambridge), 660 (MGMAT_Free), 660 (MGMAT -1)

2008 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by orenbusuk » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 am
Hi SM,

I see you've already got the MGMAT SC guide. That's great. If also found the beat the gmat's flashcards to be very useful in boosting my verbal scores!

Some ppl have suggested working through Powerscore's critical reasoning bible. I didn't find it very helpful, but friends of mine swear by it. You might be interested in checking it out if you have the time.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by desidoc9 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:35 pm
Hey Buddy

Verbal section is tricky...

I have just started preparing for GMAT, but I have improved considerably in verbal in less than 20 days time..

here is the trick

SC and CR...they both have various "sub-sections"
When you solve OG 10 or 11 or Kaplan....they give u what subsection it is, in the answers section.

Find out if you are performing badly in a particular subsection(s) and work on that.

Secondly, maybe you should read the answers of OG 11 and any other Verbal book you have....
You need to find out the patterns, the key words, etc. which are messing you up...