Eval

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Eval

by jarome101 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:23 am
Hello and thank you for taking the time to look!

First my profile

25 Year old, Egyptian Male (US born citizen)
Undergrad school: Bryant University (Smithfield, RI)
Undergraduate items--- GPA 3.5 (last 2 years 3.8, very strong extracurricular activities, academic award for studies in Political Science (my minor), head of student run mutual fund (Inaugural year)
GMAT- 610 ---- plan on taking one final time within a month, don’t have the exact score break down but my Quant is lower (percentile wise) then verbal and my AWA is 5.5
W/E – >24 months in a financial management training program @ a fortune 100 company, financial services industry (non-investment related), gained management experience, applied leadership through several different projects
Other items--- Leader of a community outreach committee which strives to help bring change and assist in the local community, numerous projects can be listed

Schools I am looking focusing on: Yale, Cornell, Georgetown, Boston College

Questions: Please be honest as to how realistic any of these schools seem, also when choosing a recommender would it help if they went to any of the schools I am applying to as an undergrad?

Thanks in advance!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:30 am
Though it is only one factor in the admissions process, your GMAT is a bit low. You mention that you will try to take it one last time. Be aware that it is not advantageous to have more than 3 attempts on your score report.

Otherwise, your background looks interesting and should provide good material for your essays and interviews. In regards to your LORs, you should select an individual who knows you well and and can specifically address your achievements. An undergraduate alum will generally not add any value unless they happen to know a lot about you, your goals, and your successes.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jarome101 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:26 pm
Thanks, I should have clarified, that was my second time and I will not take again. The LOR just so happens to be from an alumnus, I was just curious if it would have an impact, I guess not a big help but can not hurt either.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:36 am
The letter of recommendation will not hurt however it will only be helpful if the alumnus can speak in specific terms about you. Make sure that he/she is not writing a general letter.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options