Essay Help

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Essay Help

by dan.iannetta » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:06 am
I've been working on essays for several schools now. Like most people, I am having trouble keeping the length within the ramifications of each school. There is no word count for these schools, rather a page count: 2 pages, double spaced. The question I have is font size: I can get away with strong essays at TNR, 10pt font. However is this pushing the limit? Should I be focused on completing all of my resumes in TNR, 12pt font?

Thanks for the help.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:18 members
GMAT Score:750

by eskimoroll » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:45 am
dan.iannetta wrote:I've been working on essays for several schools now. Like most people, I am having trouble keeping the length within the ramifications of each school. There is no word count for these schools, rather a page count: 2 pages, double spaced. The question I have is font size: I can get away with strong essays at TNR, 10pt font. However is this pushing the limit? Should I be focused on completing all of my resumes in TNR, 12pt font?

Thanks for the help.
I'd recommend not messing around with font sizes or margins. Just go with the standard margins and 12 point font (TNR, Arial, or Helvetica). Remember, they're going to have a stack of applications printed out and a smaller font will definitely stand out most likely in a negative way. Word limits (and space limits) are hard for me as well since I tend to like to write a lot but that's part of the challenge of showing that you can succinctly communicate effectively.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by bei » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:53 pm
i feel like 10 font size is ok with 1 inch margins. i'm surprised the school didn't specify though...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:660

by ayankm » Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:16 pm
eskimoroll wrote:
dan.iannetta wrote:I've been working on essays for several schools now. Like most people, I am having trouble keeping the length within the ramifications of each school. There is no word count for these schools, rather a page count: 2 pages, double spaced. The question I have is font size: I can get away with strong essays at TNR, 10pt font. However is this pushing the limit? Should I be focused on completing all of my resumes in TNR, 12pt font?

Thanks for the help.
I'd recommend not messing around with font sizes or margins. Just go with the standard margins and 12 point font (TNR, Arial, or Helvetica). Remember, they're going to have a stack of applications printed out and a smaller font will definitely stand out most likely in a negative way. Word limits (and space limits) are hard for me as well since I tend to like to write a lot but that's part of the challenge of showing that you can succinctly communicate effectively.
eskimoroll I second you on this. Its definitely not worth putting in more material by using a small font. Might have a negative impact.