Essay content

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Essay content

by gmatking » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:44 pm
Hello Amy,

In regards to the length of the essay, what is the general rule of thumb? I mean, if maximum word limit is 500 words, is there a requirement for minimum words? Also, I heard that the closer you get to the 500words, the better it is..is this true?

My second question is, for "why mba?" type of question, is it ok to write a narrative type of story that eventually leads to the answer to the question? Or do we have to dive into the answer right away?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Amy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:51 am
Hi gmatking,

There is no stated minimum guidelines for essays. Most applicants have a very hard time cutting down their essays to 500 words. I doubt you would be able to answer the question thoroughly in much less than 500. The shortest essays I have seen are more like 490 for a 500 word limit.

For your second question, there are no hard and fast rules. If telling a story is the most effective way for you to answer the question, that may be the right way to go. I'd avoid anything that "eventually" leads to the answer since you do want to be as concise as possible.

Good luck!

Amy
Amy
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting