Error Log (verbal) help needed

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Error Log (verbal) help needed

by Warlock007 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:19 am
Dear All
i would be highly obliged if someone can guide me about the results of the below error log
and guide me how to proceed further

I really need a 40+ scaled score in verbal

please guide me :( :(
Attachments
OG 12th Error Log (Large).jpg
MGMAT_OG_Tracker_2009-09-01_(Excel_2003).pdf
(32.81 KiB) Downloaded 84 times

GMAT Score:710

by maddy2u » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:16 am
I think you are doing just fine in reading comprehension and critical reasoning. At this point of time, you can safely continue the same preparation that you have been performing. In the case of Sentence correction, you would have to practice a lot more . Read the MGMAT SC book cover to cover atleast twice - trust me,that is the bible for entire SC . One more thing, don't neglect the Advanced portion of the MGMAT book. It is essential for your GMAT preparation. Practice from different forums and get accustomed to the questions from Kaplan, MGMAT and OG so that you will have a broader perspective and will attack questions in your GMAT even if they appear more twisted that usual.

Love to hear you get a 700+ score. Please send me a PM in case you have any questions related to the GMAT.

by Warlock007 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:15 am
maddy2u wrote:I think you are doing just fine in reading comprehension and critical reasoning. At this point of time, you can safely continue the same preparation that you have been performing. In the case of Sentence correction, you would have to practice a lot more . Read the MGMAT SC book cover to cover atleast twice - trust me,that is the bible for entire SC . One more thing, don't neglect the Advanced portion of the MGMAT book. It is essential for your GMAT preparation. Practice from different forums and get accustomed to the questions from Kaplan, MGMAT and OG so that you will have a broader perspective and will attack questions in your GMAT even if they appear more twisted that usual.

Love to hear you get a 700+ score. Please send me a PM in case you have any questions related to the GMAT.
Hey maddy
thanks for your reply
Actually I got 600 on march 28th in my last attempt Q 48 :) :) V 24 :( :(
you can read my debrief
https://gmatclub.com/forum/my-test-exper ... 11610.html
i hardly did any RC in my last attempt
so now i dont wanna miss anything
and want to optimize my efforts
I have done OG 12th and now planning to move onto OG 11th
for SC i will go through MGMAT SC once again...(wherever I feel i need help)

and for maths i am solving daily mailers from the gmat club & BTG...
hope this will take me through the ocean of GMAT

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by singhupinder » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:55 am
One simple strategy for Sentence Correction. Once you are through with the Manhattan guide practice about 20 SC's everyday. That ways you won't have to revise the book again n again and will also develop vital speed. Same also goes for CR.
Last edited by singhupinder on Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Warlock007 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:00 am
singhupinder wrote:One simple strategy for Sentence Correction. Once you are through with the Manhattan guide practice about 20 SC's everyday. That ways you won't have to revise the book again n again and will also develop vital speed. Same also goes with CR.
Thanks Dude
Will surely do so and keep you guys posted on this

Legendary Member
Followed by:13 members
GMAT Score:640

by HSPA » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:20 am
Awesome accuracy... If you made all your questions alternatively and within time you are sure to get a 45.

1 RC 2CR and then repeat the same cycle. Doing 10 CRs in one stretch is not that advantagous for the test.
The actual test shifts the gear.. so you too should switch btw varities

Warlock007 wrote:Dear All
i would be highly obliged if someone can guide me about the results of the below error log

First take: 640 (50M, 27V) - RC needs 300% improvement
Second take: coming soon..
Regards,
HSPA.

by Warlock007 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:37 am
HSPA wrote:Awesome accuracy... If you made all your questions alternatively and within time you are sure to get a 45.

1 RC 2CR and then repeat the same cycle. Doing 10 CRs in one stretch is not that advantagous for the test.
The actual test shifts the gear.. so you too should switch btw varities

Warlock007 wrote:Dear All

Hey HSPA
Thanks For your reply
I really wish all of your blessing and my hard work pays off really well (i mean i get 45 in V in real GMAT) :) :)

I Will stick to your methodology
i will do one passage (which is the least while practicing on RC)
and then will mix up SC and CR

to improve SC accuracy please share any trick or tip :? :?

by singhupinder » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:21 am
Stick to the basics.Too much grammar can be an overkill. I suggest you read this :

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... strategies

The Manhattan guide is the bible. Follow it and practice, practice, practice.
Nulla tenaci invia est via : "for the tenacious no road is impassable"

by Warlock007 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:47 am
singhupinder wrote:Stick to the basics.Too much grammar can be an overkill. I suggest you read this :

https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/07/ ... strategies

The Manhattan guide is the bible. Follow it and practice, practice, practice.
Ok points taken
and how about the performance so far?????

by singhupinder » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:46 am
You have performed really well on the RC and CR. SC seems to be the main weakness. Work hard on the SC and try to sustain your performance in the other 2 areas. For a 40 + score in verbal your SC has to be exceptionally good. I found the SC questions in the MGMAT to be far easier than those in the real thing.
Nulla tenaci invia est via : "for the tenacious no road is impassable"

by Warlock007 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:30 am
singhupinder wrote:You have performed really well on the RC and CR. SC seems to be the main weakness. Work hard on the SC and try to sustain your performance in the other 2 areas. For a 40 + score in verbal your SC has to be exceptionally good. I found the SC questions in the MGMAT to be far easier than those in the real thing.
Hey singhupinder
Thanks for your reply
even i feel that the accuracy of SC can go further to 85%
for this i will again brush up my basic concepts and then again will approach the questions
OG 11th and aristotle SC

even i felt that MGMAT SC had a lower level of questions as compared to 700 level questions in real GMAT

I badly need a 40+ score in verbal man :( :(

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:15 am
i received a pm.

the error log doesn't show very many areas of notable strength or weakness -- it appears that your performances are mostly pretty consistent across the board.
therefore, it appears that you need a pretty general overview of most of these areas.

here's a post that can get you started with that kind of general review:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/550-to-720-i ... tml#330724

--

a couple of comments:

1) you're currently at v24 -- you shouldn't set a goal as far away as v40; if you do, then it is inevitable that you are going to have a pessimistic attitude throughout your preparation (because that goal is sooooo far away right now).
you should start with a more immediately attainable goal in mind, such as, say, v28. then, once you get to that point, make your goal v32. etc.

2) i noticed that you wrote this:
even i felt that MGMAT SC had a lower level of questions as compared to 700 level questions in real GMAT
given the data you've presented, there is no basis upon which you could make this claim. in fact, if you scored V24, it is certain that you saw very few actual "700 level" verbal problems on the test; in fact, it is highly probable that you saw none of them at all.

more importantly, though, these words show that you don't have the right priorities in mind, and that's probably one of the biggest reasons you haven't made much progress in verbal so far.

DO NOT EVER THINK ABOUT DIFFICULTY LEVELS!
JUST LEARN HOW THE PROBLEMS WORK!

the key is for you to learn a strategy for each problem type in CR and RC. if you are busy thinking about "difficulty levels" -- which no student will ever be able to predict with any degree of accuracy -- then that just means one thing: you're paying less attention to strategy.

in SC, make sure that you can identify "high priority" topics 100% of the time. for a discussion of this, scroll down to the part about "prioritizing" in this post (it's a really long post):
https://www.beatthegmat.com/confused-how ... tml#366523
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron