erratic score..

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

erratic score..

by iamkalive » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:02 pm
hey,

i wrote my gmat last week. for the very first time and first situation in full exam conditions.
I didn't do the greatest. 560 30-verbal 36-math, 6.0-AWA

I,for some reason killed the AWA section. I only wrote 2 practice exams prior to the exam, and had no way of marking them. i find myself to be a terrible writer, especially in timed conditions. but i managed to do great in the AWA.- 90%.

The math and verbal. i studied a couple of weeks, barely, and at a poor schedule and discipline. i could have done much better in math and verbal.

I am wondering how schools will see the score-560. a few of the schools i am looking to apply at have 550 minimums.

I do not have full 4 year degree. i have a 3 yr general science degree, i have taken over 120 credit hours of classes. And i also have a graduate diploma, which included 7 actual MBA, grad level classes. So with my marks being great in the grad diploma (3.6 on a 4.3 scale = A-), and my undergrad gpa (3.0 on a 4.5 scale = B),.

I know I have 1 dominant work reference, and my school references are pretty good to, from recent profs.

I have a few years of work in pharmaceutcials/biotech.

I am curious to see how schools like DeGroot, Ryerson and other Canadian MBA would view my application.

My Main concern is on GMAT side. Should i re-write it? i will probably not do the same on AWA section. And i still think i sorta fluked out on the rest of GMAT, as I did get above expectations, at the time.

Any comments, insights or suggestions?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by uymba » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:27 pm
I think you should give it another try, but with more study! you could achieve a significant increase. Being just over the minimum is a risk. Furthermore, with a higher score, you can may get some scholarships!
But it's up to you.

Best of luck!
=============
Go for 700+!!
https://mbajourney12.blocked/

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:700

by Turnpike » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:10 am
let me brag a bit: i got a 6.0 on the AWA without any practise. and then only a 40 on Verbal. that would mean just one thing - the awa does not quite reflect your potential score in verbal. the verbal part isn't about how good an author u r. it wants to know if you can retain details, if you can read between the lines, and if you can notice minor aberrations.

i will always suggest that you take a look at the MGMAT CATs. i've personally found them very useful. i notice that your competency on quant and verbal are pretty balanced, so you'd need a 50-50 split in your effort on each area.

and try not to take GMAT too lightly. I have read abt people who have scored a 770 after 3 weeks of preparation, but i am not one of them, and it seems, neither are you. give it more time. g'luck. :D
"Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working."

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by vincerich » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:24 pm
uymba wrote:I think you should give it another try, but with more study! you could achieve a significant increase. Being just over the minimum is a risk. Furthermore, with a higher score, you can may get some scholarships!
But it's up to you.

Best of luck!

I agree with this post completely. You say that you only studied for a minimal amount of time and didn't even give it your all. You can see that your score reflects it. Obviously, you believe that you can do better and so you should put in the time to make sure that you do. You may even want to think about taking a gmat preparation course to help with your focus and scheduling. I'm taking a Knewton gmat class. It's not as pricey as most of the others ($690 compared to near $2,000) and I got $100 off because someone referred me. I don't know your situation completely but you may want to think about that. Let me know if you want me to refer you (vincerich at yahoo dot com). In the end, getting into your top choices and having a better shot at scholarships will make all of the work worth it. Good luck!!!

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members

by maihuna » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 am
I too believe it, please refocus and retry.
Charged up again to beat the beast :)

Legendary Member
Followed by:9 members

by maihuna » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 am
I m also on similar boat trying my luck for third time...
Charged up again to beat the beast :)