equipment such as lights

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

equipment such as lights

by j_shreyans » Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:58 pm
Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by
equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by
unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.

(A) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that

(B) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

(C) equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

(D) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that

(E) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

OAD

I got this one right , just want to know that my reasoning is correct to eliminate the options.

Option A,B, and C can eliminate because a conjunction such as AND cannot serve to connect a THAT-Clause right?

Please advise and also corect me if i am wrong.

Thanks,

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

by akash singhal » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:55 am
j_shreyans wrote:Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by
equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by
unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.

(A) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that

(B) equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

(C) equipment, such as lights, that is visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

(D) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate that

(E) visible equipment, such as lights, that must be turned on and off and underestimate it when

OAD

I got this one right , just want to know that my reasoning is correct to eliminate the options.

Option A,B, and C can eliminate because a conjunction such as AND cannot serve to connect a THAT-Clause right?

Please advise and also corect me if i am wrong.

Thanks,

Well, first of all The answer is indeed D
But, their is no connection to a that clause in it.....

Now answer can be deduced from meaning clarity...
"And" denotes parallelism so the equipment in the first part must be parallel to the second equipment.
Since second one is not underlined it is fixed i.e "unobtrusive equipment" so we need an option that has an adjective behind the equipment part in order to make it parallel.

'Visible Equipment' does the trick here so A,B and C are eliminated due to lack of adjective.
In E subject-pronoun error, 'It' cannot point to the phrase "the amount of energy" we need to use 'that' so eliminate E

Hence D is the answer.

I hope my explanation is suffice......
Any doubts or argument will be happily addressed.

Do thank if it please you.
Nice question.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:27 am
j_shreyans wrote:Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.

A and B: equipment...that are visible
Here, are (plural) does not agree with equipment (singular).
Eliminate A and B.

C and E: when used by unobtrusive equipment
Here, it is not crystal clear what is used by unobtrusive equipment.
Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by j_shreyans » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:17 am
Hi GMATGuru ,

Thanks for your reply , but can you please tell that above my reasoning for elimination is workable in this? If not then please explain why not?

Thanks,

by akash singhal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:13 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
j_shreyans wrote:Lacking information about energy use, people tend to overestimate the amount of energy used by equipment, such as lights, that are visible and must be turned on and off and underestimate that used by unobtrusive equipment, such as water heaters.

Eliminate A and B.

Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for replying ...
Is My deduction of meaning content is wrong?????
Can we solve this question using parallelism???

by akash singhal » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:14 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:

Eliminate A and B.

Eliminate C and E.

The correct answer is D.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for replying ...
Is My deduction of meaning content is wrong?????
Can we solve this question using parallelism???

Followed by:1 members

by src_saurav » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:57 am
I would like add to the above that the idiom is 'estimate that'..... So you can clearly come down to A and D ...b/w them the above reasoning of visible lights is preferred.