by rpang » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:07 pm
Thanks for reading in advance!

Here are some background

27yo Male
Chinese national, been in US since teenager
B.S. in M.E. from Penn State. GPA 3.3
M.S. in Engineering Management from Purdue. GPA 3.5

Planning on using GRE....
Verbal 700. Quant 730 (I know, this should not have happened to an engineer)
Used the GRE-GMAT conversion on ETS, turns out to be ~700.

5 years work experience in the Pulp and Paper Industry in Southwest Virginia- first as engineer, then promoted 2X. I hope my work experience, being in a real blue collar, manufacturing enviroment, would make me stand out a little. I like my job reasonably well, and don't mind doing it for a little while post-MBA, or promotion within the company, but am open and leaning towards a career change as well.

Here is my dilemma,
1) Going FT means giving up my job, and 2 years of salary, and more importantly, the pending green card application (yes, it will take FOREVER!). I guess it would be worthy if I can get into one of the top schools, say top 15, with scholarship. Even that is a lot of risk and oppurtunity cost. What is my chance of getting into top 15 with scholarship? And would you recommend going for it?

2) Doing EMBA or part time would limit schools to somewhat within driving distance. There are only 2 in the area, UVa and Duke. Going for EMBA would burn a hole in my pocket, and plus some loans, as my company only sponsor part of the tuition, and EMBA is cash-cow for schools, so almost no scholarship. So, with only 5~6 years of experience, can I get into one of the two? And would you recommending going for it?