Electric cars

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Electric cars

by sushbis » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:05 pm
A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles even on the part of people who use their cars almost exclusively for commuting is the inability to use their electric vehicles for occasional extended trips. In an attempt to make purchasing electric vehicles more attractive to commuters, one electric vehicle producer is planning to offer customers three days free rental of a conventional car for every 1,000 miles that they drive their electric vehicle. Which of the following, if true, most threatens the plan's prospects for success?
A. Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.
B. Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week, the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles.
C. The relatively long time it takes to recharge the battery of an electric vehicle can easily be fitted into the regular patterns of car use characteristic of commuters.
D. Although electric vehicles are essentially emission- free in actual use, generating the electricity necessary for charging an electric vehicle's battery can burden the environment.
E. Some family vehicles are used primarily not for commuting but for making short local trips, such as to do errands.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by vikram4689 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:21 pm
Premise: People cannot use electric cars for extended trips.
Premise: Electric car manufacturer, who WANTED TO INCREASE THE SALES,offered 3 day free rental of conventional car.

We have to find the options that THREATEN's or WEAKEN's the PLAN
Now options:
A. Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips. -Irrelavant
B. Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week, the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles. -CORRECT,as this is saying cost of renting free car would lead to increase in price of electric cars and car manufacturer actually wanted to increase the sales.
C. The relatively long time it takes to recharge the battery of an electric vehicle can easily be fitted into the regular patterns of car use characteristic of commuters. -Irrelevant
D. Although electric vehicles are essentially emission- free in actual use, generating the electricity necessary for charging an electric vehicle's battery can burden the environment.-Irrelevant
E. Some family vehicles are used primarily not for commuting but for making short local trips, such as to do errands.-Irrelevant
Premise: If you like my post
Conclusion : Press the Thanks Button ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by gauravgundal » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:02 pm
IMO:E
I have gone through different GMAT sites that say B is correct for above argument,but I don't find anything in B that would weaken the conclusion/plan of manufacturer to make purchasing electric vehicles more attractive to commuters.
I can't even say that E is one of the best,but at least it states that some family vehicles are used for short trips(doubt about how much is short as 1,000 miles can be short too)

Let see what experts have to say ..

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:03 am
sushbis wrote:A major impediment to wide acceptance of electric vehicles even on the part of people who use their cars almost exclusively for commuting is the inability to use their electric vehicles for occasional extended trips. In an attempt to make purchasing electric vehicles more attractive to commuters, one electric vehicle producer is planning to offer customers three days free rental of a conventional car for every 1,000 miles that they drive their electric vehicle. Which of the following, if true, most threatens the plan's prospects for success?
A. Many electric vehicles that are used for commercial purposes are not needed for extended trips.
B. Because a majority of commuters drive at least 100 miles per week, the cost of the producer of making good the offer would add considerably to the already high price of electric vehicles.
C. The relatively long time it takes to recharge the battery of an electric vehicle can easily be fitted into the regular patterns of car use characteristic of commuters.
D. Although electric vehicles are essentially emission- free in actual use, generating the electricity necessary for charging an electric vehicle's battery can burden the environment.
E. Some family vehicles are used primarily not for commuting but for making short local trips, such as to do errands.
The premise is about implementing a plan.
The conclusion is about enticing commuters to purchase an electric car.

The correct answer will break the link between these two ideas: it will show that implementing the plan will DISCOURAGE commuters from purchasing an electric car.

A: Outside the scope. The argument is not about cars used for commercial purposes but about cars used by commuters. Eliminate A.
B: Correct. If implementing the plan makes the cars expensive, commuters will be discouraged from buying them.
C: Outside the scope. The correct answer must connect the PLAN to unhappy commuters.
D: Outside the scope. The argument is not about pollution.
E: Avoid the word SOME. How many is SOME? Some could mean two vehicles out of THOUSANDS.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3